I am trying to play Sims 2, but it
won't run and I think my problem
may be the video card.
I'm not sure what information you'll
need. I have a Windows ME computer.:confused:
I've tried going to start-> run -> dxdiag
but I can't seem to find video.

Identifying your video card:
When you run dxdiag, the "Display" tab should tell you all the information about your video card.

There are many ways to find out what video card you have, which can vary from doing things like: going into device manager, opening your case, or running software Belarc Advisor.

Belarc Advisor is found here:
https://www.techspot.com/downloads/910-belarc-advisor.html
and it might be useful to list the full specs of your computer if this Sims 2 problem manifests into something bigger.

To get to device manager:
Right click My Computer>Properties>Hardware(tab)>Device Manager
From there, your graphics card is listed under "Display Adapters" or something similar.

As for your problem:
Mindy199 said:
I am trying to play Sims 2, but it
won't run and I think my problem
may be the video card.

What do you mean by "won't run"? What happens?
Does this problem occur with every game or just Sims 2?

This problem may be unique to the Sims 2 application. I don't have that game so I can't comment on that. I believe there is a sticky in the Games board about Sims 2 problems, have a look there.

It would be much easier to help you when you provide more description of the problem, and when you list your PC (or just your video card) specs.

thank you all very much.

when i stated it wont run, I ment that I installed it fine
and then when I tried running it, it popped up with this:
"Failed to find any DirectX 9.0c compatible graphics adapters in this sytem! Please make sure you have DirectX 9.0c compatible graphics adapter and have installed the latest drivers provided by the manufacturer. The application will now terminate."
^I'm guessing by that it's saying I need to download DirectX 9.0 again, but I've tried. So, where would be the best place to download it from?
and it is only happening with sims2, not with my other cimputer games.

*ahem....you forgot to mention the name of your video card lol. That is very useful info and many ways of finding it out were presented.

That message it gives you says that your current video card does not support DirectX 9.0c. However, I am pretty sure it does, since you say that your other games work (and I'm pretty sure your other games also use DirectX 9.0).

Find the latest drivers for your video card. If you tell the name of it I can give you the link...

Your first problem is using Windows ME , which isn't even supported by Microsoft,

Youll need a stable DX9 OS, and latest drivers,,,

i cannot figure out what type of card i have.
Grafficks said:
Identifying your video card:
When you run dxdiag, the "Display" tab should tell you all the information about your video card.

There are many ways to find out what video card you have, which can vary from doing things like: going into device manager, opening your case, or running software Belarc Advisor.

Belarc Advisor is found here:
https://www.techspot.com/downloads/91...c-advisor.html
and it might be useful to list the full specs of your computer if this Sims 2 problem manifests into something bigger.

To get to device manager:
Right click My Computer>Properties>Hardware(tab)>Device Manager
From there, your graphics card is listed under "Display Adapters" or something similar.
Its been mentioned already on steps on how to "figure out" the card. The first step mentioned in bold will be the easiest and less painful for you to follow. Just post a screenshot (if you know how) or write down all the info it gives you to your next post.

Otherwise, follow my link below (in my signature), regarding general troubleshooting for games. In that FAQ, there will be another link titled Read THIS before you Post a Sims 2 Help Thread!!!. Please follow it and read the whole thing. It will give you step by step instructions on how to resolve your matter, then post back here.

first, you're running a modern game on an old PC with an obsolete and the worst OS microsoft ever made. Even older 98SE was better than ME. There are many diagnostic programs to find out what card you have. Many of them free. google it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back