Video Card Issue + Broken Retaining Clips

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is my first post here and I wish it was under better circumstances.

Earlier today I turned on my computer like I have done so many times before. I noticed nothing wrong. After Windows was squawking at me to reboot for updates, I restarted and was answered with a Beep orchestra of 1 long beep and three short beeps, which research on my laptop stated was a problem with the video card or it's connection. This had happened once before, a couple of weeks ago and was easily fixed by re-positioning the video card. Before I restarted I had noticed nothing wrong, and when it occurred I was confident my little knowledge of PC workings would prevail. So I unplugged the card(and subsequently broke off the little retaining clip that holds the card in place, seems like it's made out of paper). I gave it a minute and plugged it back in, and it didn't solve a thing. I have been working on this for about 2 hours now, and nothing has worked. Should I just call off the effort and call this one dead?. Or is there anything else I've missed?.

My video card is a XFX GeForce 8600 GT. My mobo is a ASUS P5K SE.

The computer doesn't boot up. It just sits there with my monitor in yellow inactive mode. I can't change any system settings or anything. Hence the beeps at the start. I honestly have run out of solutions. I don't know what else to do.

I believe my computer doesn't contain an onboard video card. However, after taking a quick break, and starting up again to try and fix it, now when I put in the video card and hook it up, it no longer beeps, however the monitor is still on standby mode.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back