Video Card Issue + Broken Retaining Clips

By Cager
Feb 28, 2009
  1. This is my first post here and I wish it was under better circumstances.

Earlier today I turned on my computer like I have done so many times before. I noticed nothing wrong. After Windows was squawking at me to reboot for updates, I restarted and was answered with a Beep orchestra of 1 long beep and three short beeps, which research on my laptop stated was a problem with the video card or it's connection. This had happened once before, a couple of weeks ago and was easily fixed by re-positioning the video card. Before I restarted I had noticed nothing wrong, and when it occurred I was confident my little knowledge of PC workings would prevail. So I unplugged the card(and subsequently broke off the little retaining clip that holds the card in place, seems like it's made out of paper). I gave it a minute and plugged it back in, and it didn't solve a thing. I have been working on this for about 2 hours now, and nothing has worked. Should I just call off the effort and call this one dead?. Or is there anything else I've missed?.

My video card is a XFX GeForce 8600 GT. My mobo is a ASUS P5K SE.
  2. raybay

raybay TS Evangelist Posts: 7,241   +9

You cannot find a way to improvise?
  3. Cager

Cager TS Rookie Topic Starter

Define improvise?. Aside from repeatedly slotting and unslotting the video card, what else is there?.
  4. Cager

The computer doesn't boot up. It just sits there with my monitor in yellow inactive mode. I can't change any system settings or anything. Hence the beeps at the start. I honestly have run out of solutions. I don't know what else to do.
  5. raybay

raybay TS Evangelist Posts: 7,241   +9

What happens if you remove the video graphics card and go back to onboard video?
  6. Cager

I believe my computer doesn't contain an onboard video card. However, after taking a quick break, and starting up again to try and fix it, now when I put in the video card and hook it up, it no longer beeps, however the monitor is still on standby mode.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.