Video card issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ms_Corri

For most of the people reading this (if any), I will relay that I am in no way computer savvy. I get by mostly on information provided from my brother, who happens to be very "computer savvy."

I have been having problems with my computer automatically rebooting. After a little research, I was told that my problem with my random reboots was my video card and the fact that it was outdated. My video card is a Radeon 9600 by ATI. I went to their web site, http://support.ati.com, and followed their directions about installing new video drivers. Everything was going pretty well until I actually tried installing the new drivers. Every time I go to do so, I get this message:

ATI CIM Application Launcher Module has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience.

Who knows, I may have done something very wrong myself without knowing to cause this. All I know is I just want this problem to go away and I want to have my new video drivers installed so that I can go back to gaming.

I know that many of you are probably laughing at my problem, but please, it would be extremely appreciated for any help I could get on this problem.

To cover the basic information... Windows XP is my OS; as previously mentioned, I use Radeon 9600 for my video card provided by ATI.

Thanks for your time. Again, any help would be extremely appreciated.

hi ms corri and welcome to TechSpot :)

did you uninstall the previous drivers first?

when updating drivers for a video card you should first go into device manager and uninstall the current drivers, then reboot and install the new drivers, then reboot again.

Hi Ms Corri,
Newer ATI Drivers use something called .NET Framework from Microsoft. If you do not have this already installed, you'll need to do this prior to installing genuine ATI drivers.

You can download and install .NET at any time, and you can get it here:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...58a3-759e-473e-bf8f-52154438565a/dotnetfx.exe

Once that is installed, download but DO NOT install (yet) the new Catalyst drivers from ATI at:www.ati.com, click "Customer Care at the top"
then Drivers And Software
then Windows XP drivers and Software
then RADEON
Catalyst 6.6 Windows XP - Driver Download

Get "Catalyst Control Center Package, Download 2 of 2" near the bottom.

(sorry, ATI's site is wonky and wont allow direct linking to their drivers..)

As previously mentioned, you should now/first uninstall any previous drivers. You can do this by hitting the Start Menu, Control Panel.. then selecting "Add/remove Programs" from there.

Look for ATI references. I'd recommend uninstalling in this order.. but do NOT reboot when it asks you after each one. You can reboot upon completing the very last one on the list you may have.
(Don't worry if you are missing some of these.. If you are, it's normal.. just skip t o the next one):
ATI Control Panel
ATI Catalyst Control Center
ATI Display Drivers
ATI Software Uninstall Utility

You can go ahead and reboot after you've uninstalled those from above your system may have.

After rebooting, go ahead and run the Catalyst drivers you previously downloaded.. it'll want one more reboot after this and you should be in business.

Be patient on the first reboot after driver installation though. It can take several minutes for the drivers and hardware configuration programs to settle that first time.

Good luck!

I am very relieved that when I looked back on my post, I got some replies. However, I regret to inform you that your solution did not work, Sharkfood.

To answer KingCody's question, yes I did uninstall all the drivers before trying to reinstall the new ones. I followed the directions listed on ATI's site step-by-step and I still received the problems.

I decided to give it another shot by following Sharkfood's solution. I went back and uninstalled the ATI stuff that I installed earlier to try and update the drivers. I also tried reinstalling the new drivers and I am still faced with the previous message:

ATI CIM Application Launcher Module has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience.

Also, when I tried rebooting after uninstalling everything I had tried reinstalling, I got a message saying that New Hardware was found, that there was a Video Controller (VGA Compatible). I assumed this was for my video card, so I went to the Device Manager and installed what I could there for my video card. Under the Device Manager tab where it used to say "Video Controller," it now says Radeon Series 9600. Still, I can't get my computer to get passed that "ATI CIM Application..." message. However, since I did that, I get a message whenever I reboot about New Hardware found and it being an "Unknown" device.

(I feel like throwing my computer out the window at this moment since a simple thing like updating my video drivers has turned into an extremely large chore due to some unknown thing).

I am truly at a loss for words on what to do. I appreciate the help that I have had so far, but I would be very happy if I could get another reply on this with maybe a solution of some sort to fix this problem.

Once again, thank you all for your time in reading this.

Oh, and I forgot to add that I did have the newest version of the Microsoft .NET thing and it has been on my computer for some time.

That message means it is finding ur card. Do something, go to Device Manager by right-clicking My Computer->Properties->Hardware->Device Manager.
There right-click the Video Controller by first expanding the Display Adapter option by clicking the '+' sign next to it. Click Properties and click the Driver tab.
Click update driver and click "Not at this time" when prompted to search on the net and click next.
Now choose install driver from list and choose "I will choose what driver to install". Now click next and in the new window, click Have Disk and click browse in the new window. Browse to the C:\ATI folder and select the folder there that says "6-6_xp-2k_dd_ccc_wdm_enu_32464". Now open that folder and open the Driver folder and the folder after that. Choose one of the two or more files and click ok and next to reach the driver window. Click next to check if it installs successfully. otherwise repeat the process and try the other files in the "2kXP_INF" folder. Report back if u have any problems.

Thank you Rage, I did that and it now says that my video card is recognized and whatnot. However, I am still faced with the "Unknown" device coming up on "Found New Hardware" every time I go to reboot and since I do not know what it is, I cannot locate any drivers to install it... and whenever I go to Device Manager, it says "Other Devices" with "Unknown Device" beneath it.

I still cannot install my new drivers even with what you told me to do, I still get the message "ATI CIM Application Launcher Module has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience." I clicked to see more details about the message and I got this:

AppName: setup.exe AppVer: 6.14.10.1005 ModName: unknown
ModVer: 0.0.0.0 Offset: 0013fcaf

Meh... very stressed out and clueless on what to do. As aforementioned, help is always appreciated as if your time in reading and posting back on this post.

On another note, out of curiosity, would a System Restore help or harm this situation right now..? Should I like try that and then start over from scratch or would I still receive the same message about "ATI CIM Application..." not working?

Ms Corri said:
On another note, out of curiosity, would a System Restore help or harm this situation right now..? Should I like try that and then start over from scratch or would I still receive the same message about "ATI CIM Application..." not working?

i don't see how a system restore could hurt, and it may help so it's worth a shot IMO.

what driver package did you try to install? did you download them from ATI's website, or use the CD that came with the card?

if i were you... i would first system restore it to the day before you did anything to it. then uninstall all the old drivers/control center. reboot and install only the drivers (you don't need the control center). get the drivers from the opposite place you got them before (i.e. if you used the website drivers, try the CD drivers instead or vise-versa)

maybe it will work, maybe it won't. but it's worth a shot in my opinion.

good luck :)

Well, it's been a few days and I'm happy to report that I finally got the new drivers installed.

So I did a System Restore and started over from there. It wasn't too bad; I just uninstalled my drivers and stuff and instead of downloading the entire Catalyst package from the ATI website, I just downloaded the display drivers (it was listed under "dial-up", I had been downloading the entire package through the "high-speed" listing). I was surprised when the drivers finally installed. Rebooted, yada yada, drivers finally updated.

You'd think that would be the end of my mess, but I'm still kind of confused. I thought updating my video drivers would solve my random rebooting issues. Well, just a few minutes ago it randomly shut down while I was playing one of my favorite games. I took it upon myself to look in the Event Log and here's what I find:

Date: 7/19/2006

Time: 3:59:22 AM

Type: Information

User: N/A

Source: ACEEVentLogSource

Category: None

Event ID: 0

0000000001: 2006-07-19 03:59:22:609 Unknown ACE Component Shell type [unknown] Error Called by: ATI.ACE.CLI.Implementation.CLI::Main processID:02708 threadID:(CLIMace) domainName:(cli.exe) assemblyName:(CLI.Implementation, Version=1.2.2172.1893, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=90ba9c70f846762e)

I just uninstalled my old version of the Catalyst Control Panel and updated it. I was wondering if I needed to remove Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1 and its Hotfix from my computer for .NET Framework 2.0 to work properly since I was told that this Control Panel works only with 2.0.

Once again, thank you for your time.

HI again Ms_Corri,

You do not need to worry about .NET as 1.1 + 1.1 Hotfix & 2.0 all can work together without a problem. You *can*uninstall all of them, then simply install 2.0 if you wish, but you will gain little more than some disk space back... and not much at that. So, it's really not worth it.

On your issue- the CIM is a .NET/Catalyst installer issue. 99.9% of the time it's cause from a severely outdated system or improperly configured system. Driver installs also assume the user performing the install have Administrator rights under XP, so you need to make sure the account your system boots up in is an administrator user.

The entry you are getting in the system event log is simply the CCC (Catalyst Control Center) failing to launch. This is expected as the installation process aborted prior.

Also, you should have Service Pack 2 and all recent updates on your system. There have been a number of Microsoft Installer and XP service updates that can cause this. Anti-virus/spyware software can also inhibit the problem.. and lastly so can some 3rd party dvd/capture programs. As we know little about your system, it's impossible to guess what could be the true source- be it outdated os or some conflicting 3rd party program, tool or spyware.

The real question is- do you really even want to pursue this for now? You CAN get by with just ATI drivers and an older Control Panel for adjusting your settings. The CCC is just a modern tool that is extremely user-friendly for doing basically the same thing, but is no longer supported by ATI going forward.

If you wish, you can install an older version of the drivers with the simplistic control panel for driver settings. You may have better luck doing this and manually updating the 3d drivers in the device manager. In effect, you'll have decent (but older) 3d drivers for your 9600, and the older control panel for adjusting settings.

We can give you the steps for this if you wish... or alternatively, you can try the Omega drivers- which are basically this (rebundled ATI drivers, simpler installer, and ATI Tray Tools for adjusting settings vs. Control Panel or CCC).

Thanks for your reply, Sharkfood.

So the reason (or part of the reason) for my computer randomly restarting may be because of an outdated system? I checked earlier and I have downloaded all recent and available updates from Windows that I was able to. My anti-virus... well, I use AVG Anti-Virus and I have scanned my computer recently for spyware; everything has come up clean.

I do actually have a DVD program, PowerDVD, on my computer as well as a CD burning program, Nero Suite. Would any of those cause conflictions with my video?

The whole reason why I entered this messy bit was to figure out why my computer would reboot at different times without warning. I have updated video drivers and the Catalyst Control Panel and I have also acquired .NET Framwork 2.0 as previously suggested. I would like to resolve this problem so I can actually use my computer without it randomly restarting.

Thanks for your time.

I also found it a bit strange that my computer restarted itself a few minutes ago, but when I went to EventLog, there was no message about the restart.

Ms_Corri said:
I do actually have a DVD program, PowerDVD, on my computer as well as a CD burning program, Nero Suite. Would any of those cause conflictions with my video?

Hello and welcome to Techspot! :)

No need to worry about those two programs. I don't think they can conflict with the video card.

Regarding to your random rebooting problem, I'm starting to think that your PSU (power supply unit :) ) is not up to the task. Weak PSU's like to do that (correct me KingCody,Rage and Sharkfood if I'm wrong). You say that the PC reboots when you're playing a game.
Please check your power supply label, it should be attached to it. Tell us how many amps it's pushing on the +12V rail. You can find how a PSU sticker looks like HERE(taken from Kirock's signature :) ).
In this picture the PSU has 28A on the +12VDC rail.

Also, you can check this thread here by DonNagual:
https://www.techspot.com/vb/showthread.php?p=248989#post248989
It can help you.

Hope this helps!

wolfram said:
correct me KingCody,Rage and Sharkfood if I'm wrong
there's no need to correct you, because you are absolutely right.

since the PC is rebooting when stressed, it would point to a poor quality or insufficient power supply. it could also be a memory issue, but I'm leaning towards the PSU myself.

what brand and model is your PSU Ms_Corrie?

Thanks for the replies.

I opened my case up earlier and poked around, I didn't see a label for a power supply. Any way I can find out without having to reopen to case? :x

It's a little hard to determine the amps without a sticker.
Maybe someone will know how to do it. :)

I'm running Everest Ultimate, but it only tells me about the voltages. But nothing about amps :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back