Video card keeps resetting

Brian1960

I purchased a Gigabyte Radeon HD 6450 adapter to see if my old one had failed. It was the motherboard that failed and I am now up and running again after replacing that.

The problem I'm having now is my new HD 6450 wants to constantly reset the video. I get a blank screen that then goes into screensaver mode before resetting. I'm not doing any gaming and mostly surf the net, do photo editing and simple office docs. I've now taken out the video card and the PC runs normal.

I did update the drivers for the 6450 and actually the problem worsened.

Specs as of now:

450 W PS
MSI G41M-P26 MB
2 GB DDR3 Ram
C2D 1.86 GHZ CPU
Creative Live Sound

First, does this motherboard have onboard video and if so is it disabled?

Also, see if the following helps...

1. Go to our Download section and click on Utilities and then download Driver Sweeper 3.1 to your desktop screen and install.

2. Download the latest diver(s) for your video card but don't install them.

3. Uninstall your video card drivers and reboot your PC into Safe Mode. Run Driver Sweeper and remove ONLY the video card drivers. I had someone use it on their chipset drivers! If it doesn't find any video card drivers that is quite okay; just leave all other drivers alone.

4. Reboot and install new video card drivers. If the newest drivers appear to be unstable then repeat the steps but install the previous newest drivers.

Thanks for the tips.

I do have onboard video and it was disabled as far as I know. I did try doing what you said but I was never given the option of booting into safe mode for some reason. I checked help, F* is the key to use when windows starts and gives an option but I never got the option to boot into safe mode.

As it stands now regardless all my video drivers are ATI drivers. I did have VPU recover happen again once but the other night it was happening constantly.

The other problem I'm having is with my SB Live card, it becomes disabled whenever I have the HD 6450 card in the computer regardless of which audio drivers I remove. I have a sub and the HD doesn't allow me to use the sub or change it's volume. This is also very frustrating.

Also, I just noticed in my audio device drivers there are a bunch of video codecs listed, should these be removed?

I'm baffled... Today when I turned my computer on I couldn't get XP to boot, well it booted as I heard it boot up but my GPU was totally locked, a few lines over what should be my windows desktop. I took out the card and went back to my onboard video which works fine. There is obviously some type of conflict so I am going to try and return this card.

Back