Video Card Memory Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

easystreet

I have a winfast leadtek a310 i beleive is based on the NVidia 5600fx chip. I have the option in my bios to enable to card to use system memory.

Will each increase in this number ... ie it is at 128Mb now.... be met with an increase in video card performance?

is there any limit to how much a set aside if I have lots of spare memory?

thanks. alex

if it can use system memory, then it's an integrated graphics chip (I've never seen a graphics card that can use system memory)

And in that case, it's not very powerful anyway. It'd probably hurt system performance if you let it use more than 64 or 128 megs. The limit is usually 256, as far as i know.

And if it's an integrated chip, then it's probably not based off any nVidia platform.

-=of course, all this is based on the assumption that it's an integrated graphics chip. so let me ask you to make sure, is it?

EDIT: After a quick google search, it seems that card is actually an expansion after all.... which confuses me since i've never seen an expansion card that can borrow system memory O_o.

Yeah. ATi ones that do this are called HyperMemory supported cards while NVIDIA equivalents are called TurboCache supported cards.

Probably means the AGP Aperture Size setting. This has no effect on performance, and the card will only take the memory if needed. You can set it to 256Mb, but I doubt the settings you can use with that card will get anywhere near using 256Mb (the setting you have now).

thanks guys; i messed around with it a bit and could not find any gain in performance. my card is a bit ancient but i will wait for my big system upgrade before moving onto pci-e.

still performs well though:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back