Video card problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

soboy123

Hi my video card started acting weird lately.
Its brand new out of the box working 7 days when it started showing a black screen on boot up. Now it works for a limited time for about 1-5 minutes before it restarts the computer.
I tried my old video card and the same thing is happening. How ever my integrated video works perfectly fine.

Pc specs
OP: Windows XP media center edition sp2
3518mb ram
Amd athlon 64 x 2 duel core
Phoenix bios
350 watt psu
Video card : ATI Radeon hd 4670
Previous : Nvidia geforce 6150 LE (crap)

Yeah I installed it correctly.
It worked all day yesterday and now it only works 1-5 minutes before restarting.

looks like you have an older OEM machine, they (with few exceptions) come with very poor quality underpowered PSU's. along the lines of a bestech or the like. it sounds as if it may be the problem.

I don't think its the psu, because my old video card which worked for 3 years is having the same problem.

I don't think its the psu, because my old video card which worked for 3 years is having the same problem.

Why can't it be the PSU if your old card is giving the same problems? Maybe the damage to the PSU is recent. The cheapest solution would be to try a different PSU. I hardly think there's any point buying other expensive parts before making sure that it's not the PSU.

If possible, borrow a known working PSU having adequate power, and try it on your system.

Try checking if the video cards work properly on your friend's machine. If they don't, you might have to replace one.

My video card works fine on my friends machine.
I also bought a new 450w psu and it still does not work.
I think this is related to my hard drive because of recent malware. I had to reformat twice, because my screen would not start with it.
I will try another hard drive and see if it works, if not I will need to buy a brand new pc.

why not just get a new motherboard if you dont want to spend alot of money and swap parts. make sure your new motherboard can use your old parts. but your probably better off getting a new one.

Im giving up on this pc and salvaging what I can.
I never did like HP.
Im building my own pc and might need some advice.
Newegg.com is where i am getting the parts.

You just had the same problem I had a few months ago. I built a new pc, and swapped my Radeon HD 4750 into it, used same monitors as on my old dell. In the new pc with windows XP he sp2, the monitors went into stand by just as you describe. Either right before bootup or 1-5 minutes in. This happened in a brand new suped up pc but did not happen in my 5 yr old dell.

I couldn't identify a hardware problem, nor could a paid professional. But i installed windows 7 32bit. now the new pc and Radeon 4750 get along great. My pc tears it up.

That was my solution. Worth a try for you?

intel i3 2.93 duo
4GB DDR3 ram
1TB HD 7200rpm
512MB DDR3 ATI Radeon HD 4750

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back