Video Card? problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Martinkearin

Hi all
Probably a question that puts me into the beginner bracket tho I've been using PCs for 15 years.
2 weeks ago had a system that was working well.
PIII 733MHz 191MbRAM
Was in the middle of playing thru an old game of my son's ("TA Kingdoms"). All fine.
Made a basic mistake, opened a file that seemed to come from my ISP but was bogus. Virus checker not up to date (OK, I know). So I was so badly infected decided to reformat. All went well, new setup fine till I started to replay the game I had started previously.
Instead of running well, game seized up repeatedly, going into ultra slo-mo or hanging completely. System performance showed 100% CPU usage, this thru levels I had completed with no probs previously.
Obvious culprit is video card, but that has not changed from previous setup. NB no video card available to check on - built into motherboard.
Any advice on how to proceed to solve problem welcome.
PS don't think you're being insulting if you offer an "obvious" answer - I will live with the shame!
Martin

LOL!

Probably easily fixed. It sounds to me like after you re-installed windows you didn't reinstall your drivers. Bullseye?

If this is the case, do you have any CDs that came with the computer?

What is your computer by the way? Is it a name brand like dell or something? If so, what is the model number?

If it is NOT a namebrand, we need to know the details of your hardware.

Motherboard make:
Motherboard model number:
Video card:

If your computer is not a namebrand AND you don't know the details I am asking for above, then you'll have to install some probing software. Install this to get the info I am asking for above:

https://www.techspot.com/downloads/27-cpu-z.html

Then we can point you in the right direction to find and download your drivers. Without them your system will not run well at all, as you are finding out. :grinthumb

Thanks for response
Computer is Compaq Deskpro EN
Info from cpuz: Processor Intel Pentium 3 EB, Coppermine 2, Socket 370FC-PGA, Mainboard Compaq 0688h
Does this help? Have no oe CDs

OK, downloaded driver. Got part way through installation, got a message "system contains driver 6.13.1.3198, are you sure you want to overwrite with older driver 6.13.01.3015". I said no to that. Advice??

No, I wouldn't download an older driver. That is your video driver you are talking about right?

I would try the "chipset" driver. That is the one that controls your motherboard (and my hunch as to why you are having performance problems).

Also, I have no idea how good this program is, but it is a compaq program that is designed to tell you how your system is doing. I also assume it is supposed to tell you what drivers you need to update (at least that is what it seems to do).

http://h18007.www1.hp.com/support/files/Deskpro/us/download/19228.html

Again, I have NEVER owned a compaq so I have absolutely NO confidence in the suggestions I am giving you. How's that for a back-door? ;)

Alright, one more note before I head to bed:

After you reinstalled windows, you didn't install ANY drivers, correct? That means that XP (if that is your OS) installed the best ones it could find for all your hardware. Sounds like it had a decent one for your video card, but you'll want to check all the other drivers on that link I gave you as well, specifically:

sound drivers
network drivers
modem drivers (if you are using the modem)

of course the above mentioned chipset drivers.

Good luck!

Downloaded chipset as you suggested. This time got message during installation saying that "the current operating system supports the Intel chipset devices on your system. No INF update is needed"

Sorry to hear that! :(

I'm afraid that I am out of ideas as to what could be causing your system slowdown. We need someone with a bigger brain than I have it seems.

Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back