TechSpot

Video card problem

By Jase123
Nov 13, 2007
  1. Hello all,

I recently bought an Asus P5VD2- MX SE mobo. Connected all my hardware to it ect. Booted up with out my graphics card and it worked fine, got into windows ect. I then shut down my computer to connect my graphics card, however, I got no display. I first thought it was just the graphics card, so I sent it back, but it was found not faulty. It's a Ati x1950 pro by the way. I then took the graphics card up my cousins and he got a display. I know it isn't my PSU as that has more than enough power, see here: http://overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=CA-005-CS

I am now thinking it is the motherboard. It could be the pci-e bus or the actual chip.

What do you lot think?

Regards Jason

2. Rik

Rik Banned Posts: 3,814

That post makes no sense.
    Then you say.
    ???

3. Jase123

Jase123 Banned Topic Starter Posts: 1,012

Yes, the basics, ram, hard drive, cpu, optical drive. Booted up my computer using the on board graphics and I got into windows. I then shut down my computer to put my new graphics card in, however I got no display on the screen, the fan on the graphic card is spinning.

Regards Jason

4. howard_hopkinso

howard_hopkinso TS Rookie Posts: 24,177   +19

This might sound stupid, but after you`d installed your new graphics card, you did remember to connect your monitor to the new card didn`t you?

Regards Howard :)

5. Jase123

Obviously! And then connected the auxiliary power connector.

Regards Jason

6. pdyckman@comcas

pdyckman@comcas TS Rookie Posts: 527

I would suspect the motherboard too. Since your video card does work on a different board(PC). Take it back while it's still a recent purchase. Good Luck with that.

7. Jase123

Yes, I'm quite positive it's the bus, but I just wanted to get your thoughts. I've already contacted the place where I bought the mobo from. :)

Regards Jason

8. Rik

Rik Banned Posts: 3,814

If you had said what you said in post 3 in post 1 it would have made much more sense.

Did you disable the on board in the bios and uninstall its driver in windows?

9. howard_hopkinso

howard_hopkinso TS Rookie Posts: 24,177   +19

In that case, a faulty pci-e slot is a definite possiblity.

Only other thing left to try is putting another known good video card in and seeing what happens.

Regards Howard :)

10. Jase123

Yes, I meant be trying my cousins graphics card soon, so will see how it goes. And yes I disabled the onboard in bios and in windows.

Regards Jason

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.