Video Card question

Status
Not open for further replies.
my pc has 3 slots, my video card was installed in the lowest of these three slots, it seems to be getting very hot.. so much so that it has completely just "shut down," monitor went off and would not come back. once it cooled off it worked fine again.. i'm thinking moving it into the highest of these slots would be beneficial (give it some room to "breathe"). i tried moving it and i got a blue screen saying it prevented windows from starting.
so, my question is (and it may seem like a no brainer but, meh).. do i have to uninstall the card before moving to prevent this blue screen? and if so once i have done this, do i just install drivers to reinstall the card?

No, you don't have to "uninstall" the card from its slot. BTW heat moves upward? Unless its slapped face down on the bottom of you case, i'm not sure how that would help.

What card do you have? How long have you had it? Is it overclocked? How exactly do you know that its the cards fault? Cards will often be the hottest and most power consuming part. Whats the rest of your computer, specificly your motherboard?

You also need to make sure we know that it's PCI, not AGP or PCI-E. I'm guessing it is since you said it had 3 slots...

As asked above, what kind of card is it? Did you ground yourself properly when doing ANYTHING inside the computer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back