Video Card Question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi! I am new here. I just upgraded my graphics card from a GF2 MX440 to a MSI GF4 Ti4200 VTD8x card and have a couple of questions. First, when I installed it, everything seemed fine until I smelt something burning. It persisted for a couple of minutes but my computer didn't freeze when I was testing the card out with graphic intensive games. But then my desktop froze on me. I opened it up and rechecked it it was firmly connected to the AGP slot and it was, I also tried to smell the burning to see where it was but couldn't. Rebooted her up again and everything seemed fine. The fan on the card functioned. Did I burn/damaged my VGA card? And when I click on display properties from my desktop and select my Vcard information is says it only has 32 mb SDRam, when this card is suppose to have 128 mb DDRam, is my card defective? Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

Here is my specs: Dell Dimension 8100, P4 1.3ghz, MSI GF4 Ti4200 VTD8x, 512mb RDRam pc800.

WinXP? could just be a driver issue, dont' believe that infinite loop thing has been completely cleared up yet.

as far as the smell, if the fans were working you most likely didn't burn anything, sometimes new electronics smell wierd when you first get them hot. I wouldn't be concerned unless it freezes a lot with different drivers. for your ram - what does it say when the computer boots? if it says 32 then I'd be concerned.

Sounds like a driver problem is a possiblity... I don't think it would report 32mb SDRAM even if it caught on fire and blew up...

Generally speaking, when things short, sizzle and smell - They don't work at all.

I would definitely look into that smell though. Although I cannot fathom why it would cause your problem, it is definitely a possibility and certainly something you should look at.

Thanks for you reply guys, I have apparently fixed the 32mb issue by updating the new drivers for it. The burning smell is gone, but that worried me abit. Another quick question, If i was to overclock the card, is it possible to melt down the GPU? Thanks again.

Melt? Not really. Your computer will probalby crash and freeze before it starts to physically damage your GPU.

It is possible to damage parts from heat, but as long as you stay modest when you overclock, there is no danger.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back