Video card questions for a new computer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Metallix6403

Hey every one!

Ever since the announcement of Starcraft 2 Ive been lookin at buildin another computer. I know that it could be far away, but I know that Blizzard has been pretty broad on thier requirements so something I build now should work fine.

Anyways, Im planning on makin a pretty high end computer so it can last as long as my last one. Its going to be an AMD CPU and either a SLI or Crossfire system but I have some questions about the video cards.

1. Does anyone know if the Radeon X1950 is Directx 10 compliant because I have yet to find a diffinitive answer.

2. Is the Radeon HD2900 the only card ATI has that is Directx 10 capable since I have yet to find another that is.

3. And finally, if the HD2900 is the only Directx 10 capable card from ATI, would it be a better move to go with a pair of comprable SLI cards? And if thats the case can anyone recomend a good AMD mobo with SLI?

Thanks a bunch!

Thanks for the suggestion on a SLI mobo, deffinitly a possibility if I head that direction.

Can anyone help on the Radeon card questions?

Yeah Ive done some more research and Im starting to lean towards Nvidia now. Ive been with Ive been on the ATI side of the fence for a while and loved it, but products from them have been getting pretty lax recently.

Ive now set my eyes on a pair of the EVGA 8800GTS http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130040

Faster memory clock with a slightly lower core clock than the HD2900 all for a $100 less...much better deal in my mind.

But that brings up another question to anyone that can answer, I think the power usage for the 8800GTS is 200ish on idle and 270ish on load. Now would these figures be doubled for two cards? Im getting a 750watt psu so I think there will be plenty of head room but it would be great to hear another opinion.

Again, thanks for the suggestions. If anyone has other suggestions please reply, Ide love the input!

Ive just been a fan of ATI for a long time and ATI was my first stop of research. The 2900 also was the only dx10 capable card that ATI provided.

As I stated in my previous post Im now leaning towards the 8800GTS. I also dont feel like forking out 500+ on a GTX or Ultra even though I am trying to make a highend system.

Just my thoughts:
On the psu- the amps on the 12v rails is the question, not total wattage
36amps on the 12v rails from what I've read

On the card- what size monitor and what resolution?
single card, under 22" 320 is all that's needed

Dual cards- one better single card is a better bet than 2 lower cards
640 is best bet

If you want to go hog wild, here's the 768

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130090

For the price of the two cards it would be more recommended to go for one 8800gtx. it provides better upgrade options in the future, and will be more than enough for any game available on standard sized monitors.

Just wanted to say thanks for the suggestions!

I will be buying the system along with the 8800GTX after my last undergrad finals are done (WHOOHOO!!). A most righteous gift to myself :cool: .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back