video card update questions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lethogar

hello, i am new here and i would like to break it in by asking a simple question.
I was wondering if it was possible to update my video card so it hase pixel shader and vertex shader version 2.0 without having to buy a new video card (i need it for Oblivion) and help would be appreciated
Thanks

First off Hello and Welcome to Techspot!

You can not update your video card to support more shaders, as these are part of the hardware of the card.

You could upgrade your card relativley cheap, what video card are you running now?

Sean

i am currently running an ATI Radeon 9200 Celestica Gold Edition 128mb and the pixel shader version is 1.4 and the vertex shader version is 1.1.
and thank you.

David

Can you tell me if that card is AGP or PCI? If it is AGP you are luck, a cheap video card upgrade and you will be on your way. PCI and it may be a bit more expensive.

If you can not/do not know, you can find out by downloading this program and running it. You can get it by clicking this link Run the program and look under video devices and post back AGP or PCI.

Sean

ok i will have to try that when i get home (I am currently in school) i think it is agp but i am not sure.
David

It costs around 50-60 US. It's a bit old (4 pipelines, 128bit bus, SM2.0), but it's surely better than your current card.

There are some 6600GT's, like THIS one. It's better than the 9600XT (8 pipelines, 128 bit bus, SM3.0), so if can afford it, that would be good :)

Hello and welcome to TechSpot :wave: ! May I suggest that you take a look at my guide entitled: Cfitzarl's Guide to Video Card Upgrades. Follow all of the steps and tell us:

1. The wattage and amperage of you Power Supply Unit
2. Your complete system specs
3. Your budget :)

hmmm.. as for wattage i am not sure how to find that out but as for my complete specs DXDiag may help:

Operating System: Microsfot Windows XP Professional (5.1, Build 2600)
BIOS: Award Modular BIOS v6.0
Processor: AMD Athlon XP 2000+, MMX, 3DNow, ~1.7GHz
Memory: 512MB RAM
Page File: 312MB used, 1011MB available
DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)

And as for my video card info it is up above in one of my previous posts.

And as for my budget...currently it is low until i begin working after school is done.

If you need any other info i will dig it up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back