Video card upgrade - what to buy?

By Gavin_Capacitor
Nov 6, 2007
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ok, so I want to upgrade my videocard(s). Normally this wouldn't be a problem but I'm low on expansion slots and with all the stuff coming out I could use some advice.
    Current specs:
    cpu:amd fx-62
    ram: 4gb OCZ 900mhz ddr2
    mobo: asus crosshair SLI 590
    HDD's: 5x500GB in raid 5 array - 1x 500GB system disk
    soundcard: creative Xtreme gamer Xfi
    Videocards: XFX 8400GS (its a placeholder) and
    Radeon 7000 (to drive extra monitors - I had some old CRT's laying around)

Now ive got a pretty (~1000$, but I want to get an AMD quad core later) flexible budget, but the expansion slots are a problem.

my mobo has these slots, in this order:
    --------TOP---------
    PCI slot
    PCIe x16 slot
    PCIe x4 slot
    PCI slot
    PCIe x16 slot
    PCI slot
    ------BOTTOM-------
    and the cards I currently have are:
    Radeon 7000 (PCI)
    Geforce 8400 GS (PCIe x16 - Single slot cooler)
    creative X-fi Xtreme gamer (PCI)
    Highpoint RocketRaid2220 (PCI)
    Also, I want to get another Rocketraid 2220 at some point.

And if things weren't complicated enough:
    I want to keep my extra monitors - that mean IF i go sli, I need an ATI card to drive my extra monitors. If I get one card (for my main monitor) I could use my 8400GS to run the extra monitors.

I am considering SLI 8800GT's, but these dont have DX10.1 or SM 4.1 support, I know ATI's cards coming out soon do, but I am unclear on how big a deal this is.

SO there you have it. Possibly one of the most complicated upgrade decisions I have had to make.

PS: I am willing to get a PCIe 1x ATI videocard for my extra monitors (~100$ on newegg). I may also be willing to go crossfire if there is a good reason to.

I know this is really long and complicated and if your still with me and know whats going on - Thank you - I need the advice.
  2. Tmagic650

Tmagic650 TS Ambassador Posts: 20,749   +156

I would start by getting a motherboard configured more like you need it to be. You really do need a better video card. There are many good PCI or PCI-e cards out there
  3. Gavin_Capacitor

Gavin_Capacitor Newcomer, in training Topic Starter Posts: 81

I have an asus crosshair motherboard. This is not the problem, the problem is the number of expansion slots (7 isnt enough!). Are there motherboards with more (prefferably ~10)?
  4. nickc

nickc TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,623

SLI will not support the ATI option for more than one card, and then it is not SLI.
  5. Gavin_Capacitor

When I said willing to go crossfire, I meant get a new motherboard as well.
  6. nickc

nickc TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,623

ok I understand now, thanks
  7. Rage_3K_Moiz

Rage_3K_Moiz Sith Lord Posts: 7,282   +24

You could try using a backplane or a midplane.
  8. Gavin_Capacitor

I looked them up on wikipedia, and it seems like they are for servers. Are there any that work with standard ATX cases. Even if it was just a ribbon cable that plugged into a PCI slot (and allowing me to use a dual slot cooler without loosing any PCI slots and a rack to mount the cards somewhere else in my case). Thanks for the suggestion, I will try to look more into this!
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.