Video Card Upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

StoneHunter

Guy's I need advice on which "Budget" Video card to buy.I upgraded a couple of years ago to a ATI Radeon X1300 (Best Buy Closeout) this card can not handle
running DVD movies on my ASUS 22" Widescreen.Any suggestions for PCIe x 16 cards that won't break the bank? Thanks

go to tomshardwareguide.com and read their tables for your budget to determine what you need. There's a card for every budget out there. Their tables show performance and price ranges.

That doesn't sound like it should be happening... Something else is wrong, I could play DVDs on a 19" CRT back in the day with a Pentium 2 300 and an ATi Rage Fury Pro video card (~1998).

Now I could understand if you said Bluray or HDDVD, but there is nothing inherent in the card or your other hardware that would prevent dvd playback. Don't buy a new card, your problem lies elsewhere.

What software are you playing the DVDs with and what are the symptoms of your problems?

right - sngx1275 - didn't even think of that.

Perhaps he needs a better video player or good codecs.

Download VLC player or DIVX player. Both are free and both can play movies.

Thanks Guy's, I will try DIVX Player. Download.com should have it. I am still thinking of a better card though, ATI Radeon: Sapphire or ASUS for around $40.So many choices...Thanks again

sngx1275, I am using WMP11 and Windows Media Center to play Commercial DVD's. DIVX is for DIVX as I understand.DVD Movies will play but they are slow and seem to drag along...I still think it's the Video card. I even reduced the resolution to 1024x768 and the playback was still slow.Web pages and photo's look good though at my full resolution. Any suggestions for a good relacement card (under $60)?

Upgrade your graphics drivers, and make sure there aren't any conflicting codecs. Like I said above there is no reason your hardware isn't good enough as is. Here is a good utility for checking the codec issue: http://thegreenbutton.com/files/15/utilities/entry147495.aspx

You may also want to get VLC and see if you can play DVDs fine with it. It should use its own codec, outside of what Windows is using.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back