Video cards and tv out

Status
Not open for further replies.

tourist

Can a person get the best video cards without the tv crap added? why I ask is I don't trust tv for privacy... because I have a RCA Dish on my tv and I was abled to order pay to view without phone line connected. somehow I was sendind signels to direct tv without phoneline.:rolleyes:

Why not just get a card with tv-out, but don't use it?

And the tv-out will only be able to display the program you're running on your computer...
And to do that, you have to connect it to your tv with a cable... It doesn't contain any wireless transmitters... If it had, it would most likely disrupt your system...

I know that is supose to be the way it works... but, in the help menu for the direct tv the way it is supose to work is, and it indicates so is that you can't order pay to view without phone line too.

Why are you worried about that when you'd need TV input on your PC to be able to do any of that? TV Out will just allow you to send whatever images are on the monitor to the TV, not vice versa.

Originally posted by tourist
I know that is supose to be the way it works... but, in the help menu for the direct tv the way it is supose to work is, and it indicates so is that you can't order pay to view without phone line too.

Are you sure you don't have a "grace period" where you get access to pay-per-view and paychannels?

Many companies does that to show you what you'll be "missing" if you don't subscribe...

What you describe could be possible, but considering what a satelite transmitter costs, it's highly unlikely...

And as TS | Thomas said, even if it could, it'd only be with tv-in (tv-tuner card), and not your regular video card...

I guess I just don't trust tv stuff. when we bought our computer we had to disconnect the tv from the phone and connect it to the computer to get the net. we were sitting at the tv bored with reruns and i said if i didn't have to move the computer desk to get to the phone line i would order a movie, just playing around i went to pay channels and ordered movie viewed and was billed more than once.

i have a solution.....

go and buy about 100 rolls of tin foil.

now, completely wrap EVERYTHING in your room with the foil, leaving enough to cover your own head, so that no aliens will be able to intercept your thoughts....

;)

:eek: :grinthumb very funny wise guy... I would be glad to take a lie dectector if you don't think i telling the truth. i wasn't doing this by myself either...:dead:

I guess I just don't trust tv stuff. when we bought our computer we had to disconnect the tv from the phone and connect it to the computer to get the net.

all you have to do is get a dual phone line jack add on ( about 5.00) and you can have the computer and the sattelite on the same phone line. the sattelite only acess the phoneline when you order a pay per view not all the time.

what IS the point because I am kind of a still looking for it....

are you concerned that somehow your activities on the computer are going to be monitored through your television? is THAT it because I just read your post three times and that's the closest I believe I have got.

lets forget for a moment that this is HIGHLY improbably in the way you seem to describe, but in the event of this, I don't think you are very interesting to anyone unless you are like a government operative / CIA person / terrorist, etc.. No one really cares about your private e-mails to your g/f, your web page about your cats or what books you bought on amazon. Well, maybe Amazon care about the last one but you get the picture. Unless you are living a VERY unusual life, no one really cares and will not bother to spy on you.

web sites and various other forms of "spyware" are another issue, and we have discussed these numerous times on this site. however, the spying in this case is mainly on your activities as a consumer, so that someone can try to sell you more stuff.

your only threat of being "hacked into" if you like is mainly from people who want to use your HDD space and internet connection to host warez sites on. Certainly no one is interested in your personal life.

my advice is not to worry about it, and go get yourself the best graphics card that you can afford. whether you want it to be able to play games on a big TV, or watch TV in a window or both is pretty harmless in my book. Any even if there is the possibility of what you describe, I SINCERELY doubt that you are interesting or important enough to spy on.

so are you basicly saying that we can't get one without tv stuff?... this has gone through a good amount of posts without the first line of the first post answered. what do you care what me reason for the question is for that matter i don't know why an unimportant fellow like myself should have norton internet security either do you?

It seems to me that your first line of your first post has been answered several times. As has been said several times, get a card and don't hook up TV out. There is no magic send/recieve in the card. It seems that you just cannot bear to have the TV out feature, so get a cheap card. As far as TV privacy is concerned, are you trying to get free Pay Per Views? As Phant said, I doubt anyone cares what you watch unless you want free PPV's.

I have sattelite and whenever my phonelie gets disconnected from the receiver I can still order pay per view movies. I just get the message "you must connect a phoneline if you wish to continue receiving pay per view features". I still get the movie and I still get billed for it.

iss, you may tell me I'm wrong, but I think that once your sat. reciever is initialized with phone plugged in, the PPV's are stored on the chip on the card in your receiver and Direct TV only checks your account once a month. If your phone is plugged in at this time, no problem.

thank you i will forget about a high end card then. the fact is with no magic you can send messages with your tv satellite aquipment with no phone line period.. question answered last post.

Tourist, we understand your question, you just don't seem to understand our responses. Can you get a graphics card without TV Out? Probably, if you're willing to go with some less well known brands.
But WHY? What you're saying is sorta like I can't buy a car with a radio, you see something wierd happened with a radio I had so I can't buy a car with a radio even if the radio is completely useless unless I switch it on.

Originally posted by ---agissi---
LoL
I found the tin foil to work marviously that one time when...

If it's that time they abducted you and subjected you to mind-altering ultra-frequency harmonic resonance sound waves and pseudoplasmic "chaos" rays than no, it didn't work. But if it was that second time when... than yeah, it did.

Ok now that we got that one settled anyone know how to stop my fridge from beaming signals out? everytime I stock it my friends show up and want to hang out.:eek:

you fill your fridge and then your friends come over and empty it? the sounds like a lot more of a problem than what this joker is talking about....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back