TechSpot

Video Driver - odd request...

By I_am_gar
Jan 30, 2004
  1. I have a rather odd request... I have limited access to a workstation, but need to update a video driver. Does anyone know of a way to manually change the system files to use this new driver? Would simply changing the .dll file enable the new driver or would it be too difficult? I am currently using the ATI 3D Rage PRO AGP. If anyone has any advice to fix this problem, I would greatly appreciate it! Let me know if you need anymore info...

:)

2. acidosmosis

acidosmosis TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,350

What kind of workstation are you talking about? At work? If it were me I would ask someone with administrator access to allow me to update the drivers.

3. I_am_gar

I_am_gar TS Rookie Topic Starter

Yes... That would be easiest, however, the IT dept will be out until Mon and I was hoping to get his project finished before the big game without having to take the work home. Besides, a simple driver update should be something easily fixed, though I could be wrong... Anyhow, because of my limitations, I will have to use the old fashioned drag and drop technique. If anyone has any suggestions of what files to swap please let me know. Thanks!!

4. RealBlackStuff

RealBlackStuff TS Rookie Posts: 6,503

If I were you, I'd stay away from trying to update by manually file-copying. Things can (and WILL) go horribly wrong if you try anything like that.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.