TechSpot

Video Driver Related BSODs return a year after HD format

By Phanixis
Feb 28, 2015
Post New Reply
  1. This is a most vexing problem.

About a year ago I had the worst series of system crashes. As best as I could tell, they were video driver related and tended to occur while playing video games. No matter how many driver updates I made, how thoroughly I tried to clean the drivers, I could not correct it. I ultimate resorted to just formatted the hard drive and reinstalling Windows 7.

It has now been a year, and without warning the problem has returned. The symptoms are identical to before. Occurs during video games, crashes either to a blue screen or I get a static pattern of horizontal streaks across the screen. If I do not reboot to safe mode I have to repair the system off of a Windows 7 CD. WhoCrashed still insist it is software and not hardware based.

I would really like to know what the heck is going on and how the exact same problem returned over a year later, because I do not want to be performing boot disk formats on an annual basis. Can anybody help me with this problem?

Thanks.

2. Phanixis

Phanixis TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 53

Here is a picture of the screen during some of the more severe errors. I hope this will enable somebody to better identify the cause:

[​IMG]

3. Tmagic650

Tmagic650 TS Ambassador Posts: 17,244   +234

What are the computers specs? Make, model and ...?

4. Phanixis

Here are my system specs:

System Specs:

Motherboard: MSI X79A-GD45

Processor: Intel Core i7-3820

Video Card: XFX Radeon HD 7870 2 GB GDDR5 PCI-E 3.0

Ram: Kingston HyperX Predator Series KH24C112K2 / 2 x 4 GB, 2400 MHz

Power Supply: Thermaltake W0382RU Modulator Power Supply – 750 W

Hard Disk: Corsair SSD 120 GB (Boot)

Samsung HD103SJ ATA SCSI 1 TB (Data)

DVD Drive: LG WH14NS40K 14X Blue-Ray Burner – 128 GB BDXL

DVD Burner: Lite-On IHAS324-98 DVDRW

5. Tmagic650

Tmagic650 TS Ambassador Posts: 17,244   +234

A video card or power supply issue is my guess... and yes it is a hardware issue

6. Phanixis

Ok, I may have found the problem. Although it definitely looks similar to what I was suffering from a year ago, I think I may have eliminated it by implementing frame rate limiting in the offending video game (Divinity Original Sin). I will monitor it closely and see if any further problems occur.