Video Editing Software Suggestion

By be_patient
Mar 7, 2007
  1. Hi all!
    i have a mate who is interested in performing very basic video editing. Now unfortunately i don't know anything about his computer except that its a p4 1.8 with 512mb ram and is running win XP. so i was just wondering... does anyone have any ideas about some software used to edit videos. Just crop and join really. No effects.

Freeware would be sweet, but is willing to spend a little bit of money!
    but most importantly it needs to run on a fairly low end pc. (i mean he tells me windows movie maker lags. :S) Personally I've only used higher end software so i don't even know where to bgein.

any one think of anything that would help him out!

be patient
  2. SNGX1275

SNGX1275 TS Forces Special Posts: 10,689   +395

VirtualDub or VirtualDubMod

I've found they have a fairly steep learning curve, but there are countless tutorials around. Both are free.
  3. husstorm

husstorm TS Rookie

try using adobe premiere 6.5 or ulead video studio
  4. be_patient

be_patient TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 103

will check those out thanks... but premiere? isnt that pretty cpu intensive?!
  5. N-Guy

N-Guy TS Rookie Posts: 105

Just use VirtualDub for cropping videos (Adobe Premiere will cost you a lot anyway) - it's what I use to do it AND it's FREE :D. Then I use WinAVI (You must buy it) to convert it into a WMV format to stream online.
  6. be_patient

be_patient TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 103

champion! thats exactly what hes after!

thanks heaps

be patient
  7. SNGX1275

SNGX1275 TS Forces Special Posts: 10,689   +395

Will Windows Movie Maker not do that?
  8. tipstir

tipstir TS Ambassador Posts: 2,383   +105

Womble MPEG-VCR works greats on MPEG1/2 stuff if you want quick edits cuts and etc.. That can be saved quickly.
  9. N-Guy

N-Guy TS Rookie Posts: 105

Well it only works in WinXP either without service pack or just service pack 1.
    I know it definitely does not work with Service Pack 2.

When you load the video into the timeline part, it'll lag for a while then the program will crash with a codec error.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.