TechSpot

Video Editing Software

By joshieboy
Aug 16, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. Hey all,

I was looking into getting some video editing software beyond the likes of simple programs such as windows movie maker. I would mostly be using this video editing software to edit gaming content I've recorded.

Also along the lines of video editing software, after I'm done recording a video, the file sizes can easily exceed 2gb. Does anyone have any recommendations for video compressing software?

My friend uses Sony Movie Studio Platinum 12 for all of his video editing needs but this program is $100 which of course isn't too bad compared to other software but is still pretty expensive for just video game content.

Let me know guys.
    Thanks!

2. JC713

JC713 TS Evangelist Posts: 7,055   +918

Movie Maker is probably the best free editing software. Anything else is mediocre IMO. I like After Effects/Premiere Pro and Sony Vegas but those are very expensive. If you just want compression software, use Handbrake. If you want Video Editing Software, look into Lightworks or VideoDub.

3. joshieboy

joshieboy TS Enthusiast Topic Starter Posts: 61

Thanks JC713. I'll keep this all in mind.

4. Michael R. Wolf

Michael R. Wolf TS Rookie

You can also try Adobe premiers element. I think this is best

5. St1ckM4n

St1ckM4n TS Evangelist Posts: 3,475   +624

Handbrake should only be used if Movie Maker or other doesn't let you specify the output parameters enough. Adobe Premiere allow you to do this.

6. JC713

JC713 TS Evangelist Posts: 7,055   +918

Is Handbrake bad or something? Lol.

7. St1ckM4n

St1ckM4n TS Evangelist Posts: 3,475   +624

Well, you're re-encoding, so there will always be some loss in quality. Also, Handbrake is pointless to "shrink video file" if you have Adobe Premiere and you can specify all aspects of file output - including bitrate.

JC713 likes this.
  8. tipstir

tipstir TS Ambassador Posts: 4,708   +87

In the past I had use ULEAD Video Studio and today they're merged into Now Corel VideoStudio Ultimate X6. But the current Movie Maker from MS free works okay not that fancy but it's free.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.