Video editing software

Hello,

I'm looking for a tool to edit amateur videos, nothing fancy. I've been using for quite some time Windows Movie Maker, but it provides rather a limited set of features.

I know about software like Sony Vegas, but I find it way too expensive. I was hoping to find something between these tools in terms of features and price.

Do you have any ideas?
Thanks.

I have been using a Corel program called video studio pro for a long time and it does what Vegas does but is easier to use for me, probably because I am used to the layout and functions.
I tried Vegas (free demo full version) and it seemed a little too clunky for me to get used to so I never switched over permanently.
They are on version 8.5 now, and I used 7 free demo for a month, but I still use version 3. ha You can still find older versions on sites like Amazon.

Others are CyberLink PowerDirector and MAGIX Movie Edit Pro which were rated 1 and 2 with corel at number 3 at this review site:http://video-editing-software-review.toptenreviews.com/videostudio-review.html

I have been using a Corel program called video studio pro for a long time and it does what Vegas does but is easier to use for me, probably because I am used to the layout and functions.
I tried Vegas (free demo full version) and it seemed a little too clunky for me to get used to so I never switched over permanently.
They are on version 8.5 now, and I used 7 free demo for a month, but I still use version 3. ha You can still find older versions on sites like Amazon.

Others are CyberLink PowerDirector and MAGIX Movie Edit Pro which were rated 1 and 2 with corel at number 3 at this review site:http://video-editing-software-review.toptenreviews.com/videostudio-review.html
That's exactly how I feel about Vegas. I'm not saying it's not a useful tool, but it's not the right one for me.
I'll most surely look into the Corel program. It's the first time I see it mentioned, but seems quite interesting for what I need.
Can you apply video stabilization if needed? Is it built-in or do you have to install a plugin?

That's good to know, because many of these programs require a plugin for stabilization. I'm aware it can't do wonders, I expect just certain improvements. I do a lot of activities in the wild and inevitably the quality of the video will be somehow affected.

That's exactly how I feel about Vegas. I'm not saying it's not a useful tool, but it's not the right one for me.
I'll most surely look into the Corel program. It's the first time I see it mentioned, but seems quite interesting for what I need.
Can you apply video stabilization if needed? Is it built-in or do you have to install a plugin?
Not a fan of shakycam?
Yes it has that natively. I used on some handheld walking footage through a campgrounds and it worked fine. The footage was bad to start with ( Blair witch / Bourne films bad) and it didn't eliminate it all bit it made it watchable without nausea. You knew it wasn't dollied but it looked fine.
It also supports chroma key(green / blue screen) but I would think they all do.
After seeing the reviews I might try the other top 2 as well since both offer more available tracks. I have yet to use up all the tracks in Corel but it might be fun doing more complex edits with more tracks.

I was looking at the Cyberlink Power Director, which is rated number 1. It has an impressive library of effects and transitions and it's great. But on the other hand, this could turn into a disadvantage because the more preset templates you'll have the more difficult it will be to choose. And I'm not looking for complex projects. Nevertheless, it's quite interesting. I'm also considering Magix Movie Edit Pro 2016. It's great that you can add any media you wish on each track.

That's good to know, because many of these programs require a plugin for stabilization. I'm aware it can't do wonders, I expect just certain improvements. I do a lot of activities in the wild and inevitably the quality of the video will be somehow affected.
Try adding extensions to the camera to stabilize it a bit more, you can make your own or buy one like this: .amazon.
Or just widen it with something like this:
Gorilla pod spread it straight across horizontally and hold it at the ends to effectively widen the camera base and make it less bouncy and twisty at the lens point.

Try adding extensions to the camera to stabilize it a bit more, you can make your own or buy one like this: .amazon.
Or just widen it with something like this:
Gorilla pod spread it straight across horizontally and hold it at the ends to effectively widen the camera base and make it less bouncy and twisty at the lens point.
Thanks for the tip, the Gorilla pod seems something worth trying. It's cheap and can really help me.

Back