video format problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

yarn_to_be_spun

hey I'm trying to use Adobe Premiere 6.0 to edit video. I can't get it to accept capture from anything other than a firewire, so I'm using an ATI All-IN-Wonder Radeon card to capture using the windows movie maker. But the capture format isn't compatible with premiere. Does anyone know what formats are okay with premiere, and if so how can i change the format of a video clip or capture? Hope this all makes sense. I appreciate any suggestions.

Any other capture program?

Yarn,
I just set my PC up for video capture last night from a VCR. I was surprised that Premier wouldn't capture from the video card (only USB or firewire), but found that my Nero software would capture the video from the video card. It allows you to capture as MPG or AVI, which Premier will accept. If you have Nero (which came with my Sony DVD burner), try that, or maybe another capture program will do AVI.

John

well nero works...good call. It's very slick. But my PC is slowing right down when i go to edit my video. I had 256mb ram so i got another 512, so it should be enough right? My c drive says i have 11.4 GB left of an 80 GB drive...which also should be fine eh? It doesn't even let me render the whole project...it says there's not enough space. 11.4 should be enough shouldn't it? Thanx for the help so far...please don't stop now

Aaron

Aaron,
Sorry, I have to take back my suggestion about Nero. It only allows me to capture as mpeg, which after doing some testing and research, is very difficult to work with in premier. Nero captures to mpeg because this is the best format for burning a DVD, but is pretty bad for editing (Nero is not an editing program, so why would they care?). I could not render my mpg clips, and my computer would just about lock up every time I tried to play the clip.

More ram will not help...I have 1 gig now, but this is not the issue. Yes, 11 gig should be enough space to work with a fairly good sized movie. Try working with a small clip first to see how much space you'll need.

Instead of Nero, I ended up using windows movie maker. I capture as a .wmv file. Then drag and drop to captured clip into the movie timeline. Next, save the project, and when it asks you to specify a format, chose dv/avi, which runs very nicely in premier. You have to do this for each clip, but it's 100% better then trying to deal with mpeg files.

Read through the premier forum on adobe.com and you'll find that premier works best with dv files (.avi) and more info about this. Let me know how you make out.

John

John,

Thanx for the suggestion, and good call: nero wasn't working that well just good for capturing it. I have tried with windows movie maker to capture. But no "dv/avi" format option appears. I capture it in WMV, then import it, then drag it to a storyboard, save the project as a windows movie maker project...but it doesn't give me the option of changing the format. It saves it and that is it. I'm appreciating ur help. This dang thing is so annoying, and I'd appreciate any more suggestions. Thanx John

Aaron

Aaron,
After capturing and dragging to the storyboard, instead of using File->Save Project As, click on the side drop down where it says "Finish Movie". Click "Save to my computer" (enter the file name and save location), then click next. Click on the "other settings" bubble, and you should see a drop down menu. From here you can select your format where you should see DV-AVI.

If you don't see these options available, make sure you have the latest version of WMM...mine is version 5.1.

Hope this works!
John

hey John, Yea works good! Thanx so much. It processes so much faster in premiere now. Finally...
BUt hey just wondering if this happened to you, when i downloaded Nero, it took over all media (movies,audio,pictures etc) i removed it from the PC but now the sound doesn't work on anything. I'm probably just overlooking something.Doing a virus scan...I guess I'll see what happens. Thanx for ur help

Aaron

I think Nero will work

Aaron,
I was playing with Nero last night and found that you can select avi as the capture format (instead of the default mpeg). If you change the capture format from DVD to custom, you can select the format to record to, and avi is one of the choices. I haven't tried it yet, but if it works it will eliminate the need to use windows movie maker...eliminate a step. Thought you might like to know. Not 100% about this yet.

John

Just a follow up for anyone following this thread...
While Nero will capture video to .avi format, the files are huge! I recommend capturing with movie maker and saving as dv-avi, as I first suggested. The file size for a test capture I did was 1.6Gb using nero and 0.3Gb using WMM and savinga as dv-avi! It takes a little longer, but only uses 1/5 of the space. (Quality looked the same to me, capturing from a VCR)

Thought I would post these results for anyone interested.

John

Why would you want Adobe for?
It's a piece of crap.

Even if you want it, you can make an avi frame server and load that in adobe.

OR, you can capture video in VirtualDub, which is a very nice AVI editing utility, then load the file for editing in adobe, if need be.

Why do you say that?

Adwin,
What don't you like about Adobe Premiere? It may not be a professional editing program, but in my opinion it's far from a piece of crap. It's easy to use, inexpensive, and so far I've had good results with it. I'm sure it has its limitations (what do you expect for $80, packaged with adobe photoshop elements?), but I'm real happy with it so far.

I don't know what an avi frame server is. Can you explain this, and how it would be useful for capturing video from an analog source? I've never used VirtualDub either (I'm just starting to capture and edit video)...why do you suggest using this program instead of windows movie maker or nero?

Thanks,
John

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back