Video game sales fall 23 percent in May

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jos

Staff

Video game sales in the U.S. fell for the third consecutive month in May, according to the latest figures from NPD. Last month was the first time since August 2007 that the games industry dipped below $1 billion in sales from consoles and games, with revenues of 'just' $863.3 million; or 23 percent less than a year ago.

On the hardware side, Nintendo’s Wii remained the top-selling console, but sales plunged by more than half to 289,500 units. Conversely, sales for its DS portable gaming devices remained strong with 633,500 units moved. They were followed by Microsoft’s Xbox 360 on sales of 175,000 units, Sony’s PlayStation 3 on sales of 131,000 units and Sony’s PlayStation 2 on sales of 117,000 units.

On the software front, games sales dropped 17% to $448.9 million. One solid performer was UFC 2009 Undisputed, published by THQ, which managed to move 679,600 copies on the Xbox 360 and 334,400 on the PS3. Wii Fit was next on sales of 352,800 units followed closely by EA Sports Active with 345,800 units sold.

Permalink to story.

mmmm might be because people rent them from blockbusters and copy them on to their chipped consoles...

but its about time these greedy bast**ds got a loss, they have been charging way to much for far to long, i mean seriously does the latest console have to cost what it does.

863 million is a large number, dont they realise were in a recession my heart goes out to the chairman who will have to change his brand of cigar,,,boo hoo

23% loss is pretty significant, but you can point to a lot of factors. 1) the economy stinks - everyone is taking a hit, 2) the newness factor over the Wii, PS3 and XBox is over with - we're in maintenance mode now, 3) spring is always a traditionally low sales time for games and 4) there just haven't been any blockbuster releases in the last few months. In fact, been a whole lotta crap games released ("Leisure Suit Larry," "Damnation" and "Terminator Salvation" anyone?). The Sims 3 may boost next months figures. I understand they sold 1.4 million copies in the first week.

There are a ton of very promising games due to be released in the fall. Let's check the figures then.

Actually, it's not all that surprising given the hard economic times. Always the first things to go are things like this in a household budget. As important and entertaining as these games may be for so many, when it comes to a roof over your head, food on the table and gas in the car . . . well you can expect the "game" budget to scale back. I do agree that the games are a bit pricey as well.

I don't need new games right now. The new maps for gears 2 and Halo 3 keep me going on 360. Unreal tournament 3 keeps me entertained on PC. COD 4 and GTA 4 still keep me entertained on PS3. Still playing the Wii games I got for xmas. Can't afford games right now, don't want new games right now.

Ididmyc600 said:
i mean seriously does the latest console have to cost what it does.
Yes, it does. In fact, many consoles are sold under the manufacturer's cost for years in hopes that companies like Sony and Microsoft can recoup their losses through game licensing.

IMO, games are over priced. Not consoles.

I can't name a game that was released lately that I was interested in. Ghostbuster's was the only game on the horizon that I was looking forward to. But there's been a slew of Hollywood special effect movies that have been out in the theaters. Our money is still going to entertainment, just not games right now.

Thats ironic, the last study I did showed only 23% of games that came out were even worth playing for one day.

Given that fake statistic (but hey, when they make piracy reports they throw numbers around the same), be glad you *****s in the industry are still getting anything off the shelves with this regurgitated crap you keep pushing on us.

Yes, it does. In fact, many consoles are sold under the manufacturer's cost for years in hopes that companies like Sony and Microsoft can recoup their losses through game licensing.

IMO, games are over priced. Not consoles.

Sorry that's what i meant...games cost more than they should,

Its been said already. The recent crop of games has been poor. UFC was a good quality title (helped by being made by the same guys that created Smackdown) with a strong following but thats it. So many good games are coming in the Fall but for now people arent buying crap and unluckily movie tie-ins have been as good as ever...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back