Video Game Sales Restricted?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bedlam_4

I saw this on the Drudge Report tonght. Anyone want to comment on this?Any ideas before things get out of hand, or do you think things are already a bit to loose? http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A3131-2004Dec15.html?nav=rss_politics

"Restrict Sales of Video Games
Illinois Governor Seeks to Prevent Minors From Purchasing 'Adult Material'

By Peter Slevin
Washington Post Staff Writer
Thursday, December 16, 2004; Page A08

CHICAGO. Dec. 15 -- Decrying violence in fast-selling video games, Gov. Rod Blagojevich (D) wants Illinois to make it illegal for anyone younger than 18 to buy violent or sexually explicit games. Among the targets would be the Grand Theft Auto series, Halo 2 and Mortal Kombat. "

I thought that was already the case. Its been common practice since they started putting the ESRB ratings on them around here. You have to have ID to purchase any game rated "M". Its not only in my home state either, I've also purchased games in neighboring states and they also require ID, though I'm sure not every store enforces it but most of the major chains seem to.

Here in Holland its pretty stupid and all. For example when GTA: San andreas came out I went to the gameshop to buy myself the game. I saw this little boy standing in front of me, no freakin way he was older then 18, i guess he was like 10 or 11. He just told the guy behind the desk to get him GTA he got it, gave the money (how the heck does he get the money?) and went home.

I really dont like this loosen way of selling games. The shop owners should be punished especially because the rating is clear and simple. Dont say that the parents should take responsibility cause they wont and after all the community will have to deal with the kids not the parents only...

btw gta ownz ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back