Video Games Randomly Crashing to Black Screen

Status
Not open for further replies.

XtremE87

I just upgraded my old XFX Geforce FX5200 card to a XFX Geforce 6600GT, and just after doing that, some videogames just randomly crash to a black screen. The lights on my monitors blink as if they are in standby mode, and I can still hear the sound sometimes, though most of the time it is frozen or looping a couple seconds over and over. The only way I can get out of it is to manually hit the reset button on my computer and reboot. This happens in World of Warcraft, Need for Speed Underground 2, and also whenever I go to run a 3dMark05 test, it will crash within 2 seconds of it getting to the first test (right after the loading screen). I have never had this happen before with my old video card, and I would really like to play these games without them crashing.

Oh... and I guess that with WoW, quite a few other people are having the problem too.... http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/thread.aspx?FN=wow-tech-support&T=86800&P=1

Hello! Welcome to TechSpot

I'm not sure what the problem is so fixing it will be
difficult.
Tho, this is a good link for WoW forum.
It shows that alot of ppl are having similar trouble,
and WoW is try'in ta get to the bottom of it..

Most likely it will prove to be a video card upgrade or
a driver upgrade on single install of certain games.
Generally requiring a repair/re-install of said game.

Plz read this THREAD
It will help us to help you...
G'Luck

Still Not Working

Ok, I recently got it to stop for quite some time in WoW by switching to windowed mode in the game and played for 6 hrs straight yesterday without it crashing, but now its doing it today again, even in windowed mode... I also tryed playing Unreal Tournament 2004 yesterday, and it is happening in that game also. I have no idea as to what the problem could be still, but it keeps on happening at random times. I have a duel monitor setup, and when I put my video card and processor temperatures on that monitor while playing, they keep pretty much around the same area, but it will still crash, so I don't think it could be an overheating problem. I would really like to get this fixed, as its really anoying not to be able to play for more than 5 minutes sometimes, especially now that I have a half-way decent video card.

Try the new card on other system

first
It is part of PC troubleshooting skill , try use the new card on other system, of course on no problem system. try to see whether the same problem still happend. then is the new card's problem

second
updated the video card and motherboard to latest driver. run the games again.

Please provide more detail infomation about your system spec. for further assistants.

sorry for my bad english

thanks

It sounds like your power supply is struggling....post your wattage. Then i can give a better analysis.

I got the same problem and i used 4 different power supplys and they all do not work.

I tryed a 440W PSU A 550W PSU a 600W PSU and a 600W server power supply and the pile of **** is **** is still crashing so i do not know what the hell is going on.

ive done a mem test and its fine change the mobo and it still crashin. changed the psu 4 times change the processor and its still crashin. it aint over heating its averaging out on about 30-40 degrees

So i dnt know what to do

Dunno if this can still apply in newer Windows but look in Win.ini(In [DrawDib]) and look for DVA=0. Put a semicolumn in front of it (;DVA=0) if there is one. What else, you could try:

Latest game patch,
Latest video drivers,
Windows Update,
Registry cleanup using Microsoft RegClean and jv16 PowerTools(oldversion.com),
That's about all I can think of now.

i have the same prob

i had the same prob here is what i did and it seems to be working out ok so far i have an radion 9000 it sits in my agp 4X slot i went to my radion options and changed the agp setting from 4x to 0x (off) i dont know why this worked but it did if anyone can tell me why i would like to know.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back