Video issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

kpbradley

I have a ATI Radion 9550 video card, msi mainboard amd athlon 2600 chip. My monitor is always going off but the pc seems to keep running and the monitor turns off and has a display that states "Out of frequency 255.6 khz/ 161.7 hz Frequency out of range try another resolution" I can restart the computer and it will run for a few more min. and the same problem happens. Is there a resolution to this annoying issue?

looks like your set resolution is too high for your monitor. Try booting up in safe mode then changing it.

You woudln't need safe mode to do that, VGA mode is more designed to handle that type of issue.

What refresh rate are you running at when this happens? Does it happen if you use 60 or 75hz?

"You woudln't need safe mode to do that, VGA mode is more designed to handle that type of issue.

What refresh rate are you running at when this happens? Does it happen if you use 60 or 75hz?"

I think I am, how can I fix this????

60hz will work with about any monitor made from the mid 90s on. 75 is easier on the eyes. I'd run at 60 if you can stand it just to see if you have the problem again.

Alright I did all that and now I cannot get the monitor to stay on. The monitor shuts off before windows starts up. If I start in Safe Mode everything works fine. I tried to remove the video card through the device manager and re-install it and I cant get the disk to run without coming with a error.

Boot up in normal mode and change your resolution to either 640x480 or 800x600. See if it will stay up then, Safe Mode runs at a low resolution. If the monitor stays on at the low resolution but not higher, I'd say your monitor is toast. If it goes out at that low resolution but still works in Safe Mode then it almost has to be a driver issue.

I cant get it to boot in normal mode only safe mode. And when I try to install the driver disk for the video card it does not let me do so.

I did all stated above and worked for a bit, I started the aol and it had a error and I did not catch it but it stated that the error was repaired by the ATI program and I need to restart. I did and it keeps doing the same. I probably cant get help without the exact error correct? Maybe I should go to the ATI site and get the drivers and install insted of the disk I have from when I bought the card?

Yes, that is almost certainly a video driver issue. And if you've always been installing from the CD no wonder the problem keeps reoccuring, its using the same problematic drivers every time. It is essential you get the latest drivers from the ATi site.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back