TechSpot

video memory problem

By Missa123
Nov 27, 2004
  1. :confused:

I have the NVidia GeForce MX 4000 PCI video card and I am having problems getting The Sims 2 to read the video memory. It's showing up that the video memory is 0 mb and my graphics in the game are set to either disabled, low, or doesn't light up and the game is slow and when I change the default graphics in the game it lags to the point it is unplayable.

I have updated the drivers, uninstalled the game then reinstalled it. I have asked Electronic Arts Technical Support and NVidia Technical Support and they didn't know what else to do to resolve the problem. So I am hoping someone here could maybe help me on this. All my other games work great with the GeForce. It's just The Sims 2 that is being a pain.

I was using the Radeon 9000 series and all the graphics were all enabled and everything in the in game options were set to high performance, but I thought a newer better graphics card would make the game even sweeter but instead has made the game unplayable because it won't read/pick up my video memory. Any help anyone can give me would be greatly appreciated.

Here is my system information to maybe make things easier.

System Information:
    Operating System: Windows XP Home Edition (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 2
    Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
    System Manufacturer: ECS
    System Model: M925
    BIOS: Default System BIOS
    Processor: Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU 2.00GHz
    Memory: 480MB RAM
    Page File: 171MB used, 1331MB available
    Windows Dir: C:\WINDOWS
    DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)
    DX Setup Parameters: Not found
    DxDiag Version: 5.03.2600.2180 32bit Unicode

Card name: NVIDIA GeForce4 MX 4000
    Manufacturer: NVIDIA
    Chip type: GeForce4 MX 4000
    DAC type: Integrated RAMDAC
    Display Memory: 64.0 MB DDR

2. vegasgmc

vegasgmc TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,377

Go back to the Radeon. The MX4000 is basically an MX400 with DDR RAM. The Radeon is a better card since its based on the 8500.

3. Missa123

Missa123 TS Rookie Topic Starter

That's what I thought I would have to do. I have read on the board with others having problems with the Radeon's getting them to work properly with Windows XP service pack 2. I will put back in the Radeon and I'll see how it goes. Maybe everything will work out great. Thank you for helping me on this vegasgmc.

4. prizm91

prizm91 TS Rookie

Re:Video Memory

Change your driver on the AGP Controller. I have tried this already!

5. wolfram

wolfram TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,967   +9

Just a little question... :)

Did you check the thread's date??
    :haha:

6. sw123

sw123 TS Rookie Posts: 595

On top above someones avatar, it shows the time and date of the last post.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.