video output is not correct

Status
Not open for further replies.
Recently my monitor started displaying images that were blackened and the colors were more vivid, actually they looked like neon versions of the colors, bright and neon.

My husband thought he smelled something burning in the monitor, so we disconnected it, bought a new one and installed the driver and it works, but the images are still "neon" colors, and there are like lines going across horizontally wherever there is a form displayed, and discoloring of colors in these lines.

We played around with the brightness and contrast settings, but that did not help.

Could the problem have anything to do with the video card?
Can the video card go bad and affect the monitor's images displayed?

I do not know the brand of video card or monitor, etc. I can get that info, but also when my husband took the cover off the CPU, there was a lot of dust in there. And he thinks the main fan is not working. This is the 2nd fan he installed on the CPU in 4 years. [I do know that the AMD is the harddrive or motherboard and the O/S in Windows XP] It was all of a sudden that the display blackened and the neon color effect started to occur. Have not recently changed any display settings or anything.

I am not savvy with putting the hardware together on
desktop pc, I really only know about using software and so forth.

Any suggestions would be helpful, but so long as not too technical.

Thanks
Sue

First, have him reseat the video card (if it's in a slot and not on-board) just to be on the safe side. It could very well be a bad card......especially if there was heat build-up inside. If you can get us some more system specs, that would help.

And welcome with your first post to the TS Forums. :grinthumb

If you have ruled out the Monitor & Cable it is definately the video card at fault, it depends on your mobo as to what your options are next.
2 fans in two years is ok.
Carefully clean the inside of the pc using a paintbrush and remove dust with a vac. Pay particular attention to all fans and the PSU Vents.

Welcome to techspot :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back