TechSpot

Video - overheating or power supply?

By Minus
Dec 2, 2006
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hello,

I'd like to thank in advance for any replies I get to this thread.

I'm currently running a 256 MB GeForce FX 5500 OC card, but recently got a new much, much better card which was a hand-me-down from my brother, so I'm not sure of the exact model. I do know, however, that it requires 400 watts to run. I currently have an old, 300-watt power supply.

So, for the sake of satisfying my curiosity, I decided to throw in the new card to see what I could come up with. I booted up a game (AoE III for any of you gamers out there) and it turns out that the performance was dramatically increased. However, about five to ten minutes later, the screen instantly turned into pink, black, etc. blocks. I turned off my computer and put my old card in, which I am currently using.

My question is this: do you suppose the problem is the power supply not being sufficient or do you suppose I need another fan down there?

I don't have any fans on the back of the case, and the card felt pretty hot when I took it out. I suspect that it's the heat because the video was working fine for a little while. I would tend to think that if it was the power supply causing it, it would have rebooted itself, turned off, etc.

What do you think?

Thanks in advance,
    Minus
  2. Rik

Rik Banned Posts: 4,985

Its definately the psu!!!!

If i were you i'd also add more cooling too!!!!
  3. TimeParadoX

TimeParadoX TS Rookie Posts: 2,438

Well... I think you answered your own question :haha:

Do what Rik said and upgrade your PSU

Here is a great PSU for real cheap:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817341002

Also add some fans to your case or just get a new case from www.newegg.com that has alot of fans ( 80mm will do but 120mm will keep it more cool )
  4. Minus

Minus TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 18

Well, I gave up the ghost and did both. I got a 550-watt power supply from a small-time shop for $60 (nice LED on it too) and then threw a fan in there.

No harm, no foul, right?
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.