Video - overheating or power supply?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Minus

Hello,

I'd like to thank in advance for any replies I get to this thread.

I'm currently running a 256 MB GeForce FX 5500 OC card, but recently got a new much, much better card which was a hand-me-down from my brother, so I'm not sure of the exact model. I do know, however, that it requires 400 watts to run. I currently have an old, 300-watt power supply.

So, for the sake of satisfying my curiosity, I decided to throw in the new card to see what I could come up with. I booted up a game (AoE III for any of you gamers out there) and it turns out that the performance was dramatically increased. However, about five to ten minutes later, the screen instantly turned into pink, black, etc. blocks. I turned off my computer and put my old card in, which I am currently using.

My question is this: do you suppose the problem is the power supply not being sufficient or do you suppose I need another fan down there?

I don't have any fans on the back of the case, and the card felt pretty hot when I took it out. I suspect that it's the heat because the video was working fine for a little while. I would tend to think that if it was the power supply causing it, it would have rebooted itself, turned off, etc.

What do you think?

Thanks in advance,
Minus

Well, I gave up the ghost and did both. I got a 550-watt power supply from a small-time shop for $60 (nice LED on it too) and then threw a fan in there.

No harm, no foul, right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back