TechSpot

Video Problem Help!!!

By meestatwinkee
Dec 19, 2005
  1. Hey all, heres my problem, I was installing my new video card and was disabling the old video card via --> device manager, then the message asked if i wanted to restart the comp, and i hit enter . . . which was "yes", so now I don't get a single picture when my comp boots, What do i do?

2. mossimoboy

mossimoboy TS Rookie Posts: 121

I need all your mobo and graphic card specs.

What is the new card?
    What is the old card?
    What is your mobo?

3. meestatwinkee

meestatwinkee TS Rookie Topic Starter

sorry bout that,

its a Dell Deminsion 2300
    the old card was a Intel Extreme Video Card
    and the new card is a GE Force Mx 4000
    OS-is XP
    i'm not quite familiar with the term MOBO though.

4. meestatwinkee

sorry my MOBO:

Intel Pentium Processor 1.8gHz
    CHipset: 845 GL
    Old V-card - Intel Integrated AGP Graphics
    Slots - 4xPCI

what else is there to know?

5. iss

iss TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,994

do you have the monitor cable hooked up to the new videeo card or is it still plugged in to the onboard video port?

6. meestatwinkee

plugged in throught the onboard

7. Rage_3K_Moiz

Rage_3K_Moiz Sith Lord Posts: 5,431   +28

Hehe, well there's ur problem. Fix it into the new card and i'm sure you'll see ur familiar desktop, alive & wriggling.

8. meestatwinkee

and to do that I?

9. iss

disconnect the monitor cable from the onboard port ( in the back of your computer.) and plug it in to the identical port that is on the back of your video card. ( also in the back of the computer.)

10. meestatwinkee

. . . I need to be shot. Sorry for wasting your time
    Admin. You can close this now.

11. iss

hehe... it happens.. I once had a firend of mine who tried to impress his boss by installing a new video card for him. he messed with it for two days before calling me. I walked him through some trouble shooting steps. ( all of which he had allready done before). finally I asked him " you do have the monitor cable connected to the new video card and not to the onboard video port right?" this was met by dead silence, then a mumbled,,,"I'll have to get back to you later.....click" it was two weeks before he had the courage to call me and tell me he had been wrestling with the system for two days with the monitor plugged in to the wrong port. I still remind him of it every once and a while. :haha:

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.