TechSpot

Video Problem---Need Help!

By dave3BA
Jun 9, 2006
  1. Been having a problem, and don't know too much about video cards, though I suspect that may be the problem.
    Any mpeg video file that i try to watch on Windows Media Player, Winamp, Realplayert, or any other application, plays, but the video is totally "whited out". Originally I could open the options for hue, contrast, etc. and get it to look ok, but after fooling around with some other ideas, it seems to have gotten worse, to the point now where I can barely make out what is going on. I have a video file which is not mpeg format, and it plays fine.
    Any ideas why and how to fix it would be greatly appreciated!!!

2. Rik

Rik Banned Posts: 3,814

Google for free codecs and try a few, that may help.

3. dave3BA

dave3BA TS Rookie Topic Starter

nope, nothing...i've tried divx codecs, angelpotion, everything, nothing works. All of the colors are negative I believe, I've asked quite a few people, nobody's ever seen anything like it.

4. fastco

fastco TS Booster Posts: 1,122

Strange, but I would uninstall the video adapter, then reinstall it with the newest drivers available from the manufacturer.

5. dave3BA

would you mind giving me some directions on how to do that? I'm not too good with sound and video card stuff.

6. fastco

fastco TS Booster Posts: 1,122

Click start, Control Panel then System. Then click Hardware then Device Manager. Click on the + sign next to Video Adapter. Right click on your video adapter and click Uninstall. Re-start the computer and have the newest drivers available either on a cd or in a folder. When the computer finds the video adapter it will attempt to install it automatically. You can let it if the drivers are up to date. If not Browse to the folder with the new drivers and click OK and follow the prompts until it is Installed and ready to use.

7. dave3BA

When I go into the Hardware folder, which of the ones should say "Video Adapter"? Cause none of mine say that, I have:
    Computer
    Disk Drives
    Display Adapters
    DVD/CD-ROM drives
    Floppy disk controllers
    Floppy disk drives
    IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers
    Keyboards
    Mice and other pointing devices
    Monitors
    Network adapters
    Ports