Video Slowdown

Status
Not open for further replies.
I used to play Call of Duty 2 and it used to run perfect along with very other game or program on the computer. I stopped using the computer for a while and my brother gets on and gets a virus. Adware.LopGen was the file that I deleted after, and now the virus is gone.

However, when I got back on the computer and realized that I had a virus, everything was running slow. With the virus deleted, everything is still running slow. Game fps has dropped around 50, not just with Call of Duty, but with everything else as well. Also I noticed that sometimes, possibly for one round, the fps will be completely normal and then will go down during the second round.

My video card isn't overheating, I can monitor the temperatures. Also, I tried reinstalling my drivers, and I ran dxdiag and never found any problems. Any ideas?

PS. I used this site to help get rid of that virus ;)

sounds sorta similar to my issue...

except i cant get any visual on any game and my whole comptuer lags when i try to watch a movie or any other program that has to do with media players or games...besides that everything works fine...images, internet, messengers, even streeming video on youtube....but not games or downloaded movies:(
anyway if it was just a virus, all i can think to do is if you have a partitioned hard drive, try to put most of your valuable files on a separte partition, and format your main drive partition, reinstall operating system, and any shreds what so ever of any virus will be completly gone and you'll have a new fresh start and still have all your origanal files...
i hope that helps a little...thats what i did to fix any virus even if it had been deleted and it worked...now if i can just figure out my issue which seems to be a bit worse:(
anyway
cheers and GL

Alright, well that will be a last resort. I'll see if I can find out any other way first, because there's a lot of stuff that I would lose. Plus, it's a family computer and is used by everyone. Thanks for the help though!

When you say you "deleted" the virus do you mean you went in explorer and hit "delete"? If so, I assure you that did absolutely nothing. You'll need to use some anti-virus to get rid of it.

Alternatively, it could have damaged some part of your OS. Try reinstalling drivers, etc and if that doesn't work you could reinstall your OS, but thats a last resort.

please try to check the speed provision then you try to install the game again..there is a possibility coz you were infected by a virus before some of the files have been corrupted...

peace!!

If you say others use this computer then you might check your print cache. I've seen computers slow down to a crawl if the print cache is full. Usually if the cache is full there is an icon on the taskbar that shows a printer, just open that and clear all documents. A real simple solution to what seems like a complicated problem

Alright thanks guys. I tried to reinstall the game to see if it made a difference, but the 1st CD is scratched and doesn't work. So, I need to borrow the CD off a friend before I can check to see if the performance is back.

I am positive the virus is gone, pop-ups had stopped and I had some look at a HiJackThis log for my computer and they found nothing suspicious. Also, no virus/spyware scanning programs pick up on anything at medium or high risk.

Ok, I reinstalled the game and it is still slow. The print cache wasn't full, thanks anyways though ;)

I did another scan using that "SUPERAntiSpyware" program and it detected Adware.LopGen again. This time it detected 4 different files. According to SuperAntiSpyware the risk of the aware is 7 out of 10. A very high risk file. When I looked up the virus, like I said before, I found that it is very performance affecting.

Although I did delete it before and did scans after the fact to make sure it was gone, it returned. How can I get rid of this virus for good, and bring my computer back up to speed?

What anti-virus software are you using? I would recommend backing up your valuable files (my documents) and wiping the hd. Scan your backup though to make sure it doesn't carry the virus with it. I'd recommendThis anti-virus. I've had it delete stuff that completely trashed norton and Mcafee.

I followed the stuff and before I could finish the last step my computer shut down and would not start up. Five days later about, it started up and everything was working fine. :S

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back