Video: upgrading from Windows 1.0 to Windows 7

By Emil
Mar 4, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. YouTube user Andrew Tait has uploaded a video titled "Chain of Fools : Upgrading through every version of windows (HQ)" (via Slashdot). In it, he takes a computer running Windows 1.0 on top of MS DOS 5.0 and upgrades it all the way to Windows 7.

Read the whole story
  2. Punkid

Punkid TechSpot Maniac Posts: 540

i dont bother upgrading, theres something about that which just doesnt feel right...if ur going to reinstall the OS, better do a clean install :p....and props to the guy for putting effort into this, was quite informative :)
  3. Agreed. I have found that upgrading from Vista to 7 results in no speed/performance improvements. However, if I wipe the same system and do a clean install of 7, everything runs much more quickly.
  4. SNGX1275

SNGX1275 TS Forces Special Posts: 12,267   +217

Interesting video, wonder if its possible to do on 1 set of hardware rather than through a VM.
  5. gwailo247

gwailo247 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,105   +18

Awe, Windows 3.1, welcome back old friend. Had that baby running on a 486 DX2 66. Now that booted up fast.
  6. LightHeart

LightHeart Newcomer, in training Posts: 155

Ah, it brings back the memories and was quite interesting. I started off with MS-DOS 3.2 and did a few DOS upgrades up to 6.22 (if my memory is correct). On Windows I went from 1.0 to 7, such fun times...
  7. SNGX1275

SNGX1275 TS Forces Special Posts: 12,267   +217

I did a 95 to 98 to 98se to ME sequence, at least I think I did... Probably didn't because at some point along the way you'd expect continual BSODs :) But at least I ran all 4 of those on one computer over the years.
  8. Trillionsin

Trillionsin TechSpot Booster Posts: 1,000   +37

Windows 2000 set up an account for previous Win98 user.

twatface
    administrator

LMAO
  9. Lokalaskurar

Lokalaskurar TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 616

Anybody noticed that Windows 2.0 actually allowed *more* colour-customization than Windows 7? :)
  10. Your amazing not only for your skill In putting this together but, for not snapping and killing anyone In the process.
    I started out with win 3.1 and except for ME and Vista I'm still pounding away with windows..
    Great job.
  11. T77

T77 TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 315

Nice video,quite insightful. My first windows was 95 or 98,i dont exactly remember since they looked the same to me!

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.