TechSpot

Video: upgrading from Windows 1.0 to Windows 7

By Emil
Mar 4, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. YouTube user Andrew Tait has uploaded a video titled "Chain of Fools : Upgrading through every version of windows (HQ)" (via Slashdot). In it, he takes a computer running Windows 1.0 on top of MS DOS 5.0 and upgrades it all the way to Windows 7.

Read the whole story

2. Punkid

Punkid TS Guru Posts: 419

i dont bother upgrading, theres something about that which just doesnt feel right...if ur going to reinstall the OS, better do a clean install :p....and props to the guy for putting effort into this, was quite informative :)

3. Agreed. I have found that upgrading from Vista to 7 results in no speed/performance improvements. However, if I wipe the same system and do a clean install of 7, everything runs much more quickly.

4. SNGX1275

SNGX1275 TS Forces Special Posts: 10,689   +395

Interesting video, wonder if its possible to do on 1 set of hardware rather than through a VM.

5. gwailo247

gwailo247 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,011   +18

Awe, Windows 3.1, welcome back old friend. Had that baby running on a 486 DX2 66. Now that booted up fast.

6. LightHeart

LightHeart TS Rookie Posts: 155

Ah, it brings back the memories and was quite interesting. I started off with MS-DOS 3.2 and did a few DOS upgrades up to 6.22 (if my memory is correct). On Windows I went from 1.0 to 7, such fun times...

7. SNGX1275

SNGX1275 TS Forces Special Posts: 10,689   +395

I did a 95 to 98 to 98se to ME sequence, at least I think I did... Probably didn't because at some point along the way you'd expect continual BSODs :) But at least I ran all 4 of those on one computer over the years.

8. Trillionsin

Trillionsin TS Evangelist Posts: 1,246   +97

Windows 2000 set up an account for previous Win98 user.

twatface
    administrator

LMAO

9. Lokalaskurar

Lokalaskurar TS Enthusiast Posts: 544

Anybody noticed that Windows 2.0 actually allowed *more* colour-customization than Windows 7? :)

10. Your amazing not only for your skill In putting this together but, for not snapping and killing anyone In the process.
    I started out with win 3.1 and except for ME and Vista I'm still pounding away with windows..
    Great job.

11. T77

T77 TS Enthusiast Posts: 300   +6

Nice video,quite insightful. My first windows was 95 or 98,i dont exactly remember since they looked the same to me!