Video

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello Everyone !
I am using Windows Vista Ultimate. I have a 512mb Nvidia GeForce 7600GS video card. My PnP Adapter Info says I have 512mb dedicated memory with 398mb of shared system memory for a total available 910mb of graphic memory. The dedicated 512mb is more than adequate. I have just installed 4gb of RAM and I am showing 3071mb. I would like to get the 398mb memory addressed back as RAM. Is there a way to get the system memory back. I hope I can get at least 3.5gb as I do understand the 4gb Windows barrier in my 32-bit system. I have done the AGP aperture thing in by BIOS. I recovered 1gb through that alone. I am showing 3071mb in Windows now and 4194mb on boot.
Thanks.............
ogregoryo

EDITED by ogregoryo
Hi again !
Let me start over and from the beginning................
I have a 32-bit version of Vista Ultimate installed. I upgraded from a 128mb video card to a 512 mb GeForce so that Vista Aero would work. The upgrade was required to get Windows Movie Maker to work also. I had 2 GB of RAM installed at this time. I recently installed 4 GB of RAM. The BIOS saw the RAM and Windows saw only 2 GB. I understand that 32-bit Windows has a 4 GB limit. After doing some research, I went into the BIOS and reduced the AGP aperture from 512 MB to 128 MB. That allowed Windows to now see 3071 MB of RAM instead of the original 2047 MB. I have now 3 of the 4 GB of the installed RAM. Through research I have found that some users are getting as high as 3.5 GB. I looked into the Windows Display Settings in the Advanced Settings and noticed that the Dedicated Video Memory is 512 MB which makes sence since I have a 512 MB video card installed. Also listed in the same area is that 398 MB is Shared System Memory which lists in the same area again that I have 910 MB of Available Graphics Memory. I would be happy just to have the 512 MB available and address the 398 MB back to Random Access Memory (RAM). My question is.......... Is it possible to do such a thing. I have research this to the point of confusion. I have tried every setting in the BIOS to where I have had to even pull the Jumper to clear CMOS and start over again as some setting were unacceptable. Anyway, I hope someone (guru) knows if there is a solution.
Thank you !

PS........... I have also gone into BCD and wrote BCDedit /set PAE ForceEnable
I have read about AWE and DEP also. I guess I have forgotten to mention above that I have dual Monitors also. Don't know if this comes into play with the Windows Shared System Memory or not.

If you're running the 64 bit version of vista then all your ram may not post, many issues right now with ram and vista 64 bit. Maybe you can research this and find a solution...~ cheers

Hello Supersmashbrada !
I understand that........... I feel it is unnecessary to give up an additional 400mb when the dedicated 512mb is more than adequate. Is there a way to get that 400+- memory addressed back to RAM is my question. That will give me almost 3.5gb of the 4gb installed..........
Thanks..........

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back