TechSpot

Videocard for new system

By MetalX
Oct 9, 2006
  1. As some of you may know, I am getting a new system in a month or so. The system is as follows:

Core 2 Duo E6300 1.86GHz Dual-Core
    ASUS P5N-SLI Motherboard
    1GB Corsair Valueselect DDR2-667
    Video Card (Haven't Decided yet)
    Antec Sonata II case and PSU
    160GB WD SATA HDD

I was wondering if I should just get a cheapie PCI-E videocard like a 7300 or X1300 for the moment when I get the compy and then try to survive with it until the DX10 cards come out (remember that if I buy a good one now, when dx10 comes out, it will take me almost a year to save the money again).

2. wolfram

wolfram TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,967   +9

If you have the cash, get a X850XT or a 7600GT. Those cards are great, and should allow you to play most modern games, with good eye-candy, until real, trouble-free DX10 cards come out.

BTW, if we do again those 3D mark tests (remember?), I'm sure you'd trash my system :)
    You'll build a pretty nice computer mate :D

Regards :wave:

3. F1N3ST

F1N3ST TS Rookie Posts: 596

I'd say the 120$ X850XT PE.

4. MetalX

MetalX TechSpot Chancellor Topic Starter Posts: 1,388

What I should be asking is if I have $350 for a graphics card right now, should I go out now and buy a 7950GT or X1900GT or should I wait for DX10? I will not spend some now and some later so please don't offer that compromise. I just want to know is it better to buy now or wait and just use integrated until DX10 comes out? Also, remember, I live in Canada so try not to use newegg.com as a price reference.

Lol, I wanna do those again when I get my new system. I'll PM you after I do em :)

5. F1N3ST

Id say go all out now. Windows Vista is a 10FPS drop. I get 10FPS or more, less, than when using windows XP. Direct X 10 games will be compatible with direct x 9 hardware. And there wont be many direct x 10 cards for a while. If you can get a 7950GT, might I suggest the WAY WAY! more powerful X1900XT 256MB. It blows away the 7950gt except in like 1 game. And if it makes you feel more comfortable, im doing the same :). Wait, get the 7900GTO if its available in canada, eVGA makes it.

6. F1N3ST

7. F1N3ST

8. MetalX

Wow. That's all I can say about that beast. The only thing I like about the 8800 GTX (when it comes out) is the 768 MB memory and the 384-bit bus(!!). However, I think I will get a 7900GTO! Thanks a lot F1N3ST!

9. F1N3ST

No problem, im gonna go ATI when i build mine, cause my Mobo supports crossfire, and the X1900XT is good too.

10. lordesf

lordesf TS Rookie Posts: 19

graphic card really depends, the thing is do you need such a good grpahic card eg 7950GT. Every graphic acrd has its advantage for example the cheap 7300GT is energy efficient and its price is low for its good performance.

11. MetalX

7900GTO > 7950GT. Also, I have $350 to buy a graphics card so I don't want to buy a cheap one. Thanks for your suggestion though :)

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.