Videocard for new system

Status
Not open for further replies.

MetalX

As some of you may know, I am getting a new system in a month or so. The system is as follows:

Core 2 Duo E6300 1.86GHz Dual-Core
ASUS P5N-SLI Motherboard
1GB Corsair Valueselect DDR2-667
Video Card (Haven't Decided yet)
Antec Sonata II case and PSU
160GB WD SATA HDD

I was wondering if I should just get a cheapie PCI-E videocard like a 7300 or X1300 for the moment when I get the compy and then try to survive with it until the DX10 cards come out (remember that if I buy a good one now, when dx10 comes out, it will take me almost a year to save the money again).

If you have the cash, get a X850XT or a 7600GT. Those cards are great, and should allow you to play most modern games, with good eye-candy, until real, trouble-free DX10 cards come out.

BTW, if we do again those 3D mark tests (remember?), I'm sure you'd trash my system :)
You'll build a pretty nice computer mate :D

Regards :wave:

What I should be asking is if I have $350 for a graphics card right now, should I go out now and buy a 7950GT or X1900GT or should I wait for DX10? I will not spend some now and some later so please don't offer that compromise. I just want to know is it better to buy now or wait and just use integrated until DX10 comes out? Also, remember, I live in Canada so try not to use newegg.com as a price reference.

wolfram said:
BTW, if we do again those 3D mark tests (remember?), I'm sure you'd trash my system :)
You'll build a pretty nice computer mate :D

Regards :wave:

Lol, I wanna do those again when I get my new system. I'll PM you after I do em :)

Id say go all out now. Windows Vista is a 10FPS drop. I get 10FPS or more, less, than when using windows XP. Direct X 10 games will be compatible with direct x 9 hardware. And there wont be many direct x 10 cards for a while. If you can get a 7950GT, might I suggest the WAY WAY! more powerful X1900XT 256MB. It blows away the 7950gt except in like 1 game. And if it makes you feel more comfortable, im doing the same :). Wait, get the 7900GTO if its available in canada, eVGA makes it.

Wow. That's all I can say about that beast. The only thing I like about the 8800 GTX (when it comes out) is the 768 MB memory and the 384-bit bus(!!). However, I think I will get a 7900GTO! Thanks a lot F1N3ST!

No problem, im gonna go ATI when i build mine, cause my Mobo supports crossfire, and the X1900XT is good too.

graphic card really depends, the thing is do you need such a good grpahic card eg 7950GT. Every graphic acrd has its advantage for example the cheap 7300GT is energy efficient and its price is low for its good performance.

7900GTO > 7950GT. Also, I have $350 to buy a graphics card so I don't want to buy a cheap one. Thanks for your suggestion though :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back