Videocards & how you know if they're supported

By CJ-real
Sep 28, 2007
  1. Hi,

I normally build more... "up-to-date" systems. They would be Intel core 2 Duo, with DirectX 10 graphics cards or something, but now I need to build a PC for my mate.

Seeing as he hardly knows about... computers in general - what he wants to spend, and wants to get for his money is important, so I am looking into a DirectX9 graphics card for an Intel E4400 processor. Is this compatible?

Note: It's Nvidia, 7400/7600 GT series. Quite cheap, but he needs the processor and RAM more than the graphics card.

It does say something about Pentium 4 and Celeron - but it's just confusing me. If I was buying it from anywhere else I wouldn't have to ask this question. But just to check.

2. Rovers_robin

Rovers_robin TS Rookie

It wasn't that long ago that I was using 7-series cards with Core2 Duo's so you should be fine! I would check that the two components are computable with the motherboard more than anything!
  3. Rage_3K_Moiz

Rage_3K_Moiz Sith Lord Posts: 5,431   +28

Video card and processor compatibility is a moot point, because compatibility problems are usually between components and the motherboard. So a suitable motherboard should be the first thing on your list, as Rovers_robin rightly suggested. The Pentium IV/Celeron thingy is most likely the CPU compatibility list for the motherboard, since almost all LGA775 motherboards that support the Core 2 Duo also have support for the older Pentium 4, Pentium D and Celeron\Celeron D chips.
  4. Spyder_1386

Spyder_1386 TS Rookie Posts: 498

hey there CJ-Real. Like you said, the graphics card is not as important as the processor and the RAM when it comes to building a cost-efficient pc. Compatibility should not be a problem at all between the intel 4400 processor and the 7-series... Infact, any direct 9x graphics card should be compatible as long as the motherboard suits the card and processor.
  5. CJ-real

CJ-real TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 56

Cool, thanks people :)

I am also going to be using it in a Core 2 quad extreme for someone else... again not caring about video.

That motherboard is an Asus P5N-E SLI...

The one for Core 2 Duo E4400 is an Asus P5GC-MX

If you know these are compatible, then just reply here.

and I was right about the graphics card, it's the 7600GT 256MB
  6. Rovers_robin

Rovers_robin TS Rookie

No, I don't foresee any compatibility issues with that setup as long as the 7600GT card is a PCI-Express of course.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.