Videos becoming Corrupted

joshieboy

Hey guys,

So I have been recording gameplay for a couple of months now. I use XSplit to do so. Recently (I am unaware of how recently) some of my videos are losing their thumbnail and becoming unreadable. The video will maintain specific information such as length of the video and size but I will not be able to view/listen to the video.

I have two questions:

Can I recover these videos with any software?

What the heck is happening to my videos?

It seems very random and it doesn't seem to be the recording software. An important idea here is the videos are recorded initially being fine and watchable but later, after some unknown amount of time, become corrupted and it isn't all of my videos, just a handle (maybe 1/15)

No. I came across this thing called Media Player Classic.

Also, the files that are corrupted have a thumbnail that matches that of Media Player Classic's. Not sure if that is significant in any way.

I will try Videolan. I am pretty desperate to retrieve these videos.

Media Classic Player is a nice player, I have it too.
I've been using Videolan (VLC) for quite some time. I don't know if it'll retrieve the files,but it most likely will play them. For retrieving files, I think this might work http://www.piriform.com/recuva/download
Not sure, but hopefully. Good luck.

I will try Videolan. I am pretty desperate to retrieve these videos.
By "retrieve" you mean "repair" of course, which is a different thing.

If VLC won't play them, you can try repairing them. There are several tools that claim to do that, I haven't tried any, but have a look here:
Video Repair Tools

You may also be able to repair them using the free transcoding tool
Handbrake
With that, you may change their format to something that hopefully doesn't get corrupted.

Are these files being corrupted by a failing HD? I have had mine for a year which isn't too long but I guess you never know. Can I test if it is my HD?

Well, either way. I just got rid of my HD and tried to salvage what I could. It seems my HD was failing on me. Thanks anyways guys.

Back