Vintage computing forum?

oh , some us to inlcude myself still run vintage computers like old ataris.

I know there are others that hae commodores, etc...

Personally I see this getting as much action as the Distributed Computing forum, which isn't that much. So I'd hate to add another forum to the site and have it not used that often. Just my 2cents.

I got a commodore amiga, not much to say about it because it never has had a problem... oh, and I have an entire laundry basket full of [games] diskettes

poertner_1274 said:
Personally I see this getting as much action as the Distributed Computing forum, which isn't that much. So I'd hate to add another forum to the site and have it not used that often. Just my 2cents.
I think you'ld be surprised. There's a big market out there for vintage computers.... I noticed it when shopping on ebay.

People are quite nostalgic.

Coleco's ADAM SmartBASIC and the ADAM Home Software Library, both on cassette. Found them when sorting my cassette collection.

Found three 8" floppy disks (similar to the 5.25", but bigger).

Also found a PSION Organiser II, Model CM, complete with manual and a module with Concise Oxford Spelling dictionary.

Came across an old invoice from 12 April 1989 for an old PC:
Motherboard with Intel 80386 20MHz, overclocked to 25MHz, 2 MB RAM, SFr. 4'520.-
Floppy drive 5.25", SFr. 320.-
Full towercase with 220W powersupply, SFr. 570.-
Totalling: SFr 5'410.00
Discount 15%: SFr 811.50
Endprice: Swiss Francs 4'598.50 (= US$ 3'709.- / €2'939.- / £2'032.-)

[me weeps]

I've been looking all over to get my hands on SpartaDOS X cartridge and possibly an r-time 8 cartridge for an atari 8bit.

Uh, a TRS-80 Color Computer,
a NEC V20 processor alone on a library shelf...

Do Athlon 64 X2s with 5¼" floppy drives count?

RealBlackStuff said:
Coleco's ADAM SmartBASIC and the ADAM Home Software Library, both on cassette. Found them when sorting my cassette collection.

Found three 8" floppy disks (similar to the 5.25", but bigger).

Also found a PSION Organiser II, Model CM, complete with manual and a module with Concise Oxford Spelling dictionary.

Came across an old invoice from 12 April 1989 for an old PC:
Motherboard with Intel 80386 20MHz, overclocked to 25MHz, 2 MB RAM, SFr. 4'520.-
Floppy drive 5.25", SFr. 320.-
Full towercase with 220W powersupply, SFr. 570.-
Totalling: SFr 5'410.00
Discount 15%: SFr 811.50
Endprice: Swiss Francs 4'598.50 (= US$ 3'709.- / €2'939.- / £2'032.-)

[me weeps]

Chukles* haha hah

The oldest thing I have is a 1ghz 64 mb 1gb hdd wich was purchsed in 97 $3,000

tear*

Looks like we have a vintage computing thread where everyone can brag with their stuff :)

The oldest stuff I have are.. A 10MHz 80286 CPU and pieces of a 5.25" drive (I needed some components, so it had a nasty encounter with a saw and a soldering iron). Oh. And some bits of a teletype :)

Oldest working/in everyday use thing.. An IBM 486/66 machine working as a print server.

does a late 80s Game Boy count? you know, one of the huge gray ones? with about 15 games? that's about it for me...

I think we have to stick with mid-80s as a cut-off for vintage games..... anything after an atari ST or amiga has to be the limit.......

anything after an ibm 486.....

oh the commodor 64 and the 5'1/2 diskette drive (had two).. how i miss it.. (go BASIC: LOAD "*",8,1 :D)

maniac mansion (AAHHH!! RUN AWAY!!!<< for those who've played it or a reincarnation of it..) and skate and die, sidewinder... few of my most remembered games out of thousands.....

had an atari with a cassette thing.. but that got stolen...

might have a couple of pong machines for the tv somewhere in the garage.. unless someones thrown 'em out..

Favorite amiga games
paperboy
paperboy2
it came from the desert
another world
earthworm jim
chase HQ
P.P. Hammer
Elephant antics (come on, I was like 5 years old when I got this thing)
Willy Beamish (this game has like 27 disks)
Toki
Blood Money
Marble Madness
Spindizzy HAHA! (best by far)
...and the list continues into eternity

speaking of this, is there anywhere I can acquire an amiga diskette drive to connect to a serial port in a PC

When Commadore was King

My nine year old son like to see the old classic games on my C-64. I hook it up once in awhile. I have hundreds of disks with old games, allot just don't seem to work any more. I still have a tape drive for it.

Now all you need is a emulator to play those old games. I think searching around you may find interfaces to connect old drives to modern PCs. If I could hook up my 1541 I could replace my old collection!

I put together some 8086'es back then with EGA video. My C-64 out gamed them. My electronics teacher would tell my how much better Intel's CPUs where compared to the 6510(really just a 6502.) I made a interface to copy data to burn EPROMs to replace my fried ROM from a dead power brick and programed a little in x86 machine code. It sure was allot better. The 6502 only has three regesters!

there are conversion kits for atari 8bits to interface with PCs and hard drives, I'm sure there is one for commodores.

yes the amiga is 16 bit, so is the atari st
later generation amigas were 32 bit....

but the originals were 16.

Back