Virgin 50mb broadband house share 8 people problem?

pcrepairs247

Currently living in a student house with 8 of us, we have 2 routers leading from cable router downstiars 4 rooms on each floor going from each router. Anyway basically when some one starts streaminh from a website it takes all the bandwith until it completes the download. Meaning for a few of the gamers in the house EXTREME LAG!

Is there any programs, or routers, that could even distribute out say 6.25 mb to each room, then no one can hogg the whole thing.

Basically its sunday night now, everyone is streaming their tits off and I can't get on battle field unless i pull their cables out!

please help

We have Virgin 50mb, and don't experience these problems.

With this sort of bandwidth you should all be able to use it without any issue at all. We have 3 PCs, an iMac, and 2 old laptops using our internet connection at any one time, doing all sorts of things (I'm forever downloading as is my mrs) and we are all able to use the internet at almost full speed.

In fact the only reduction in bandwidth are seen from the Wireless G laptops, which seem to struggle to reach 5m/bits downloads anyway.

What routers are you using, and are you using wireless and wired connections?

We have Virgin 50mb, and don't experience these problems.

With this sort of bandwidth you should all be able to use it without any issue at all. We have 3 PCs, an iMac, and 2 old laptops using our internet connection at any one time, doing all sorts of things (I'm forever downloading as is my mrs) and we are all able to use the internet at almost full speed.

In fact the only reduction in bandwidth are seen from the Wireless G laptops, which seem to struggle to reach 5m/bits downloads anyway.

What routers are you using, and are you using wireless and wired connections?

we have 2 xbox's one ps3, 4 computers, and 2 laptops, laptops wireless.

when some ones streams, it allocates all the bandwith to that one , leaving the rest of us with nothing.

Bottleneck issues in these routers don't give you non-blocking pipe way. The only router that gives you full get go is EnGenius ESR-9850. It has hardware network engine gives you 17% more through-put. That's what I am using now. Plenty of test by me on youtube about this router; I have 24 nodes here (node=devices) I stream IPTV, IPVideo/Audio, LAN Multi-media Gaming, Got now tablets, to netbooks, laptops, desktops and network media players. A lot of intense heavy-duty usage. My review here about ESR-9850

30mb down and 10mb up

P2P/Gaming MSC = max session connection are now 50,000 prior was 19,000 (firmware update changes that)
QoS is disabled so I can get up to 800mb/s on LAN side in Gig most routers max out at 100 to 400mb on Gig router.WAN size I get over 30mb down max out at 32-42mb since they do offer 50mb now. At a higher cost.

Back