Virgin America's nearly six-hour-long commercial about flying is absolutely brilliant

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Frequent fliers will no doubt relate to at least some of Virgin America’s latest commercial. I use the word “some” because the “commercial” is nearly six hours long and filled with virtually ever boring, strange and annoying situation you could ever experience during a flight… and then some.

While I didn’t have the time to watch the entire clip, I did skip around and found the annoying guy whistling “Row Row Row Your Boat” non-stop, several strange background conversations, instructions on how to play “Rock, Paper, Scissors” from a bimbo flight attendant and a dream sequence involving large bubbles, a dog catching a Frisbee and a coin flipping through the air.

Sure, it’s over-the-top silly but you have to admit, it’s absolutely brilliant marketing.

Permalink to story.

All that brilliance comes down to this:

Q: How to make people watch AD-s for 6 hours?
A: Strap them to a chair, lock in a secure environment and remove the Off button.

Last logical step is cutting off eyelids, but it must be a first class special.

Fortunately I have better things to do with my time than watch even 10 minutes of this,

It wasn't bad. Better than most the stuff Hollywood puts out. Only downside is I went through my 12-pack box of pop secret about half way through the movie, but I just paused it while I went to the store for another one. 4 out of 5 stars!

Back