'Virtual memory must be enabled' in games

Status
Not open for further replies.

St1ckM4n

Howdy.

So I bought a bucketload of games off Steam during their summer sale - I wanna start playing. However, as my system has 6GB RAM (Win7 x64), I turned off virtual memory.

Now some games are asking for it to be enabled, or they just won't start. Is there anything I can do in launch options to bypass this? I don't really feel like enabling virtual mem hehe.

Now some games are asking for it to be enabled, or they just won't start. Is there anything I can do in launch options to bypass this? I don't really feel like enabling virtual mem hehe.
You can keep trying them until they work, or you can turn virtual memory back on.

Wow such an amazing tip. I never though of ceasing to try, or to just turn it back on. Simply wonderful.

No never turn off the VRM. The OS is build around that to access HDD memory when the real RAM is exhausted. Works on recycle process. You might want to get Smart RAM to recover real RAM and VRM when bad or lousy program leak or bleed memory.

it is a very common misnomer that large RAM availability will allow Windows to run w/o virtual memory.

man believe that the system operates as RAM + VM

when it really operates VM (system only access to RAM)

Even large portions of the Windows Kernel use VM

Mmm, I keep seeing the page file being used up in Task Manager. But Techspot told me to turn it off. :p

'Clearing HDD space' guide or something.

run->cleanmgr will empty temp files

1) run from an admin login

2) then again from any LUA or UAC limited account you may be using

as for V.M. - - see Virtual Memory

Technically, it will give you a tiny extra hdd space, but obviously the benefits do not outweigh the downsides.
I believe Techspot actually told you to clear it...as mentioned.

So what are the downsides? I haven't run into a 'out of memory' problem yet. Only a Windows glitch got me to 5.5GB RAM used, and no amount of multitasking currently is gettign anywhere close.

Or are there downsides that are not immediately shown?

cap_obv.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back