virtual memory on 2 HDDs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

abc

My question is, would it be better/faster to split the page file over 2 HDDs. I don't have raid or anything like that. Just wanted to know if splitting the page file over 2 drives at half size would be better? Would windows even use the second drive right away, or not until the first is filled? With the recent increase in RAM prices, I'd rather not buy new RAM just now.

btw, I wasn't sure what subforum to put this in. feel free to move it if it's wrong.

yes. Having a pagefile on both HDD's is faster than having only one pagefile on your windows drive. It means that windows can both read and write from the pagefile at the same time. As for exact details on the speed increase etc, you'll have to wait for someone who knows more about it than I do.

Thanks Spike! That is just what I wanted to know. I wasn't sure if windows would use both at the same time.

The way to do it correctly would be: 10MB on the drive where Windows is installed and the rest (1,5 x amount of physical RAM)
on the first (=fastest) partition of another HD.
Both pagefiles should be fixed size (minimum=maximum)

If possible, it's even better to have a separate partition for the swap file alone.

& as RBS said, make sure you give it a fixed size, not a range.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back