virtual memory

Status
Not open for further replies.
i am trying to run a learning game for my child and it tells me i do not have enough virtual memory 3 mb needed it is currently set at 15oo for the minimum and 3000 for the max?? any ideas on what to do

You went into MyComputer (right click )and goto : properties/advanced tab/advanced tab (again) and at the bottom it says virtual memory, press change. Set it to 1.5X your real memory value. Example if you have 512MB of RAM, then set virtual to 768MB.

Virtual memory is harddrive space allocated for Windows use. If you don't have enough harddrive free space maybe this is the problem. Do a diskclean to clear temp files, temp internet files etc. A defrag might help too.

i will try

but the comp is only 3 weeks old and i have over 100 gigs of free space

but i will reset the ammounts of virtual memory

Well then it's not a matter of free space on the HDD then (was just making a suggestion, don't worry abouyt defrag either). Just check your virtual memory settings to confirm they are set correct and we'll take it from there. Maybe it's an error the software you a running, you might try uninstall/reinstall the learning game.

first, create another partition, or better yet, use a second hard disk for this task.
move your virtual memory files and temporary internet files to the second hard disk or partition - your primary partition won't frag up as much and you'll free up a lot of room. You can adjust the page file size to 3 times your memory size. Windows default is fine.

nyr2002nyr, how old is that learning game that you've got?
If I read your first post correctly, the program complains about not having at least 3 MB of virtual memory. Any new computer should have that much virtual memory. :confused: This makes me think it might be an old DOS game. Please post back to let us know if this is the case. The most common solution for this type of problem is to install a DOS emulator like DosBox .

kirock said:
Well then it's not a matter of free space on the HDD then (was just making a suggestion, don't worry abouyt defrag either). Just check your virtual memory settings to confirm they are set correct and we'll take it from there. Maybe it's an error the software you a running, you might try uninstall/reinstall the learning game.

I would always double it..is this wrong?

Toffeapple: I read 1.5X RAM size a year ago so I always qoute and use that number, but Tedster says you can use up to 3X so I'm inclined to think that 3X is ok. Mind you, if you have 1GB of RAM(or more) I doubt any application is using any virtual memory.

Ok i work for a LARGE hospital.
Here is what i have found.
Set your virtual memory in 2k/xp to 1024-2048.
This gives the machine plenty of room to breath if you have the space and it will shrink back down if it is not using it all. Most new machines have over 80 gigs of free space.
He is running an old dos game i am willing to bet.
Yes dosbox with help you.
Truthfully though i would get VMWares Virtual player.
If you can get anyone to build you a win98virtual machine (mind the licenses).
You can run you dos games in that win98 virtual enviroment with a true version of DOS.

virtual memory is set in mycomputer /peoperties/advanced/performance/settings/advanced/change/custom size

there's no set limit to virtual memory. it's just slower than ram memory.
usually double the ram is sufficient. if you have 1gb of memory (1024 mb) make your virtual memory 2 gb (2048 mb). it is helpful if you stay within the powers of 2 (like 1024, 2048, 4096, 8192......) since it's always splits in binary k's (1024).
if it's an older dos game, then dosbox should do the trick

Solution :)

Had the same problem found the solution. Hope it helps you like it did me.

Program Won’t Run – Gives Director Player Requires 3MB of Virtual Memory Error
ID: 13 Category: Error Messages Status: Resolved Views: 6628

Question:
Title is self explanatory. I'm getting a virtual memory error.

Solution:

Some programs use an older version of Macromedia Director that malfunctions on systems with over 1 gigabyte of RAM, giving the error message: This program requires at least 3MB of free virtual memory to run. Follow these instructions to change your virtual memory settings.

WARNING: This procedure will allow the program in question to work, but it may also adversely affect other applications on your system. If necessary, you can reverse the setting later.

Change Virtual Memory Settings
1. Click Start>Control Panel.

2. Click on Performance and Maintenance.

3. Click on the System icon at the bottom of the window. The System Properties window opens.

4. Click on the Advanced tab.

5. In the Performance section, click on the Settings button. The Performance Options window opens.

6. Click on the Advanced tab.

7. In the Virtual Memory section, click on Change. The Virtual Memory window opens

8. Verify that the number next to Space available: is higher than 4000 MB (at least 6000 is recommended). If there is not sufficient space available, you will need to clear more space by removing files and programs you no longer use, before you can proceed with these instructions.

9. Click on the radio button next to Custom size.

10. In the boxes next to both Initial size (MB) and Maximum size (MB), type 4000.

11. Click on the Set button. If you receive a message that you will need to restart the computer for settings to take effect, click OK.

12. Click OK to close the Virtual Memory window.

13. Click OK and then OK again.

14. Close all open windows.

15. Click Start>Shut Down and then choose Restart.

16. After the computer restarts, try the program again.

Resetting Virtual Memory Changes
If you later wish to reverse the changes you made, use the above steps, but replace steps 9 and 10 with the following:

· Click on the radio button next to System managed size.

9. Click on the radio button next to Custom size.
· Click on the radio button next to System managed size.

I can't find the radio button! Is that next to the "Any Key"? :haha:

nyr2002nyr said:
i am trying to run a learning game for my child and it tells me i do not have enough virtual memory 3 mb needed it is currently set at 15oo for the minimum and 3000 for the max?? any ideas on what to do

As the others are saying you need to check the Virtual memory. if the virtual memory is like you said at 1500 (min) and 3000 (max) then you need to check out what other application are running on your computer and wherther you are having the free space of that amount or not on that particular PARTITION. By default it is a C:\

other things you also need to check out is requirements of your Game.
If it supports Win 9x,Me then you need to go to the executable file propertites and then select compatibility and then select the legacy of your Game which O/S it supports.

toffeapple said:
I would always double it..is this wrong?

virtual memeory is just like your ram. the diffrence is Ram is a hardware component and virual memory is space of your HDD.

you can assing your virtual memory according to your wish.
virtual memory plays a role when you are getting short of Ram memory.
so that programs can still run.

there is no hard and fast rule that that you need to have 1.5x or 2.0x or more of your ram you can even assing the virtual memory equal to your ram or even less then it.

it all depends on you computer what kind of the programs, files, services etc it will run.

You can make your desicion by looking into the task manager under the performance tab.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back