Virtual PC

By gulabg
Apr 9, 2014
Post New Reply
  1. I have a computer with windows 7.1. Can I install virtual PC program and where do I get it?

Best regards,
    Gulab Gidwani
  2. St1ckM4n

St1ckM4n TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 3,385   +607

3. SNGX1275

SNGX1275 TS Forces Special Posts: 12,412   +281

4. St1ckM4n

St1ckM4n TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 3,385   +607

Yup, anything non-windows or pre XP SP3 is not officially supported. But, Windows Virtual PC can run some Linux distro's.

VirtualBox is probably the best one to use overall.
  5. gulabg

gulabg Newcomer, in training Topic Starter Posts: 57

I was able to install virtual PC. I am trying to run windows XP mode. The ultimate purpose is to run
    DBASE. It is a 16 bit DOS program. It used to run on windows XP, but would not run on windows 7.1.
    Any idea about if this will work or do I need a 64 bit version of DBASE?
    Best regards,
    Gulab Gidwani
  6. DjKraid

DjKraid TechSpot Maniac Posts: 611   +14

Well for that you could just install "DOSBox". Install it and dran-n-drop the program that you want to run on to the DOSBox shortcut icon.
  7. gulabg

gulabg Newcomer, in training Topic Starter Posts: 57

The best solution appears to be a dual boot between Windows 7.1 and windows XP. I believe that will solve the problem.
    Best regards,
    Gulab Gidwani
  8. SNGX1275

SNGX1275 TS Forces Special Posts: 12,412   +281

I saw you make a similar mistake in another thread a week or two ago. There is no such thing as Windows 7.1. There is Windows 7 Service Pack 1.

This may not seem like a big deal, but we are a computer help forum and people with various levels of experience arrive here through search engine results looking for answers to their problems. Having 7.1 talked about like it is real can be a source of confusion. This is especially true now with Windows 8 and 8.1, the latter is officially an 'update' and not a service pack.
    St1ckM4n and DjKraid like this.
  9. DjKraid

DjKraid TechSpot Maniac Posts: 611   +14

Why waste all that HDD space and time installing when you can do all that via DOSBox? :{

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.