Virus made me restart from Windows Advance option screen

Status
Not open for further replies.

jinsoo93

I was trying to run all malwarebytes and it wasnt working on the regular mode so I went to Run>"Msconfig">checked safe mode minimal
now i start my computer and it goes to the Windows Advance Configuration screen i tried all the safe mode options, and Last Known Good configuration, it just restarts after i select any of them. I used my Windows cd to reboot although the "Press any key to boot from cd....." doesnt show up
running Windows Home Editon

Check out the bios settings for boot order. While you are there, confirm that the hard drive & optical drives are detected by the bios. Even if all appears correct, save & exit.

If the optical drive is not detected, there could be a bus problem. If solo, move it to the primary ide. If master/slave, run it solo.

If Windoze is somehow ignoring the bootable CD, disconnecting the HD is easy to do on a desktop & verify the the bootable CD in that configuration. In theory, this should not happen - but you are facing a no boot situation.

okay i did that although everytime i put in the windows cd to put in it says "reboot or select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device and press a key"
thanks so much for the advice also
another question if i take the hard drive and place it in another motherboard to reformat will it work?

The error message appears to be coming from the bios. Is the media bad or is the CD drive bad? This needs to be working to reload the OS. The reformat can be done anywhere. However, once loaded with the OS moving HD between motherboards involves product re-activation, among other considerations.

The original approach was simply using the Recovery Console (XP install CD) to run ‘fixmbr’ and ‘fixboot’. We never had the opportunity to consider what malware is present. For the case that the malware was a rootkit possibly affecting the boot code, a re-partition and complete format (not quick) is needed. A low level format (zero fill) is another approach to clean the hard drive – but it takes 4-8 hours depending on size & speed.

thank you so much for your help but it was pretty simple my cd drives werent working for some reason and i installed another one to just reformat the os

Run>"Msconfig">checked safe mode minimal

As you found out the hard way, getting out of Safe Mode after using this method to get in to it can be a problem.

Boot into Safe Mode
  • Restart your computer and start pressing the F8 key on your keyboard.
  • Select the Safe Mode option when the Windows Advanced Options menu appears, and then press ENTER.

Better to use the method above to go into Safe Mode. Then there is no 'reversing' problem. you just boot in to Normal Mode when you finish what you're doing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back