Virus problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.

SaintZubb

Hi folks,

My first post, I've read your boards for a while and you guys have answered a lot of questions I had by answering folks with similar probs to myself... keep up the good work :)

Anyhoo, I seem to have contracted a spyware problem that I see a great many people have suffered from too.
I have an icon in my taskbar which goes from a red crossed circle to a white question mark with a blue background. Every few minutes it alerts me to a "Critical System Error!", clicking on which takes me to a website for Virusburst or somesuch thing.
I have tried the stickies on how to get rid of Trojans and Spysheriff but sadly these don't seem to work. To make matters worse, I seem to be unable to boot my computer into SafeMode. I dunno if thats a prob with my comp or a symptom of the spyware... suggestions please folks?

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

Go HERE and follow as many of the instructions as you can.

Post fresh HJT and Ewido logs as attachments into this thread, only after doing the above.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

This thread is for the use of SaintZubb only. Please don`t post your own virus/spyware problems in this thread. Instead, open a new thread in our security and the web forum.

Thanks for getting back to me. I followed the steps in your link as closely as I could, however, I am unable to reboot my PC in Safe Mode. Whenever I try it in any of the 3 forms, my computer simply hangs. So I have done as best I could with the instructions bearing that in mind...

Please find enclosed the requested logs

Thanks for your time :)

You might want to copy and paste these instructions into a notepad file. Then you can have the file open in safe mode, so you can follow the instructions easier. Follow as many of the instructions below as you can.

Turn off system restore.(XP/ME only) See how here.> http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/tutorial56.html

Boot into safe mode, under your normal user name(NOT THE ADMINISTRATOR ACCOUNT). See how here.> http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/tutorial61.html

In Windows Explorer, turn on "Show all files and folders, including hidden and system". See how here.> http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/tutorial62.html

Go to add remove programmes in your control panel and uninstall anything to do with(if there).

WinMediaCodec

Close control panel.

Open your task manager, by holding down the ctrl and alt keys and pressing the delete key.

Click on the processes tab and end process for(if there).

isamini.exe

Close task manager.

Run HJT with no other programmes open(except notepad). Click the scan button. Have HJT fix the following, by placing a tick in the little box next to(if there).

O2 - BHO: (no name) - {202a961f-23ae-42b1-9505-ffe3c818d717} - C:\Program Files\WinMediaCodec\isaddon.dll

O17 - HKLM\System\CCS\Services\Tcpip\..\{AD55F35D-56EF-4372-8418-1BA4FE57F5FF}: NameServer = 205.188.146.145<Only fix this, if it doesn`t belong to your ISP.

O21 - SSODL: eeler - {1559e6c1-7e5e-4461-9457-6a2dea85eb9f} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\titiau.dll (file missing)

Click on the fix checked button.

Close HJT.

Locate and delete the following bold files and/or directories(if there).

C:\WINDOWS\system32\titiau.dll
C:\Program Files\WinMediaCodec<Delete the entire folder.

Delete all files in Ewido quarantine.

Reboot into normal mode, turn system restore back on and rehide your protected OS files.

Post a fresh HJT log and let me know how your system is running.

Regards Howard :)

This thread is for the use of SaintZubb only. Please don`t post your own virus/spyware problems in this thread. Instead, open a new thread in our security and the web forum.

I am not able to boot up my PC in Safe Mode... in each of the three types of Safe Mode my computer simply hangs :(

That`s why I said follow as many of the instructions as you can.

Since you can`t boot into safe mode, follow the instructions from normal mode. Reboot your system before posting a fresh HJT log.

I did as many of the steps as I could, but there were a few I was unable to complete, listed below for future ref;

Boot into safe mode, under your normal user name(NOT THE ADMINISTRATOR ACCOUNT).

Open your task manager, by holding down the ctrl and alt keys and pressing the delete key.
isamini.exe
Close task manager.
[I clicked to end the task but it would not disappear from the list]

O17 - HKLM\System\CCS\Services\Tcpip\..\{AD55F35D-56EF-4372-8418-1BA4FE57F5FF}: NameServer = 205.188.146.145<Only fix this, if it doesn`t belong to your ISP.
[This did not appear on my list]

Locate and delete the following bold files and/or directories(if there).
C:\WINDOWS\system32\titiau.dll
[This was no longer in the directory]
C:\Program Files\WinMediaCodec<Delete the entire folder.
[Unable to delete, said the program was in use, so I deleted what I could from the folder]

Despite not being able to complete all of your steps and rebooting the PC a couple of times, the pesky icon is no longer in my toolbar, so fingers crossed it is gone for good. If that's the case, then I will put on a selection of hats and take them all off to you 8)

New log enclosed

If you have trouble following any of these instructions, move on to the next step.

Download the Pocket Killbox programme from HERE. Extract it but don`t run it yet.

You might want to copy and paste these instructions into a notepad file. Then you can have the file open in safe mode, so you can follow the instructions easier.

Turn off system restore.(XP/ME only) See how here.> http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/tutorial56.html

Boot into safe mode, under your normal user name(NOT THE ADMINISTRATOR ACCOUNT). See how here.> http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/tutorial61.html

In Windows Explorer, turn on "Show all files and folders, including hidden and system". See how here.> http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/tutorial62.html

Go to add remove programmes in your control panel and uninstall anything to do with(if there).

WinMediaCodec

Close control panel.

isamonitor.exe
isamini.exe

Close task manager.

Run HJT with no other programmes open(except notepad). Click the scan button. Have HJT fix the following, by placing a tick in the little box next to(if there).

O2 - BHO: (no name) - {202a961f-23ae-42b1-9505-ffe3c818d717} - C:\Program Files\WinMediaCodec\isaddon.dll

Click on the fix checked button.

Close HJT.

Run the killbox.exe file. When it loads type the full path to the file you would like to delete in the field and check the delete file on reboot button. press the Delete File button (looks like a red circle with a white X). It will prompt you to reboot, select no until you have finished inputting the files you want to delete, only then allow it to reboot and hopefully your files will now be deleted.

These are the file paths you need to enter into killbox.

C:\Program Files\WinMediaCodec\isaddon.dll
C:\Program Files\WinMediaCodec\isamonitor.exe
C:\Program Files\WinMediaCodec\isamini.exe

Once your system has rebooted, turn system restore back on and rehide your protected OS files.

Try and delete the C:\Program Files\WinMediaCodec folder.

Post a fresh HJT log and let me know how your system is running.

Sorry it's taken so long to get back. I've been having issues getting online and I'm really afraid that my computer is fit only for the bin now.
I completed all the steps that I could of your last instructions and have added a HJT log...
A new thing that happens now, is that I crash quite often when playing on-line games (World of Warcraft & Star Wars Galaxies). The computer freezes completely and the only way to get out of it is to turn the computer off at the power button.

Your HJT log is now clean.

You might want to try a Windows repair as per this thread HERE. That`s because the viruses you`ve just got rid of might have damaged your OS files.

If that doesn`t help, you should start a new thread in our Windows OS forum after reading this thread HERE.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back