Virus Protection and Firewalls

Status
Not open for further replies.

iCE

I need to get a virus protection and a firewall program. What would be the best solution? I want something that WORKS! I don't want to spend too much...both the virus protection and firewall in one package would be good...What do you think the best virus protection and firewall programs are?

On my system at least Zonealarm stops me from browsing the web - talk about total internet security :)

If you have an old 386/486/Pentium box lying around run a copy of linux on it and take your pick of free firewall software.

I use Norton Anti-Virus 2002, and it works wonderful, I have never had a problem with it, and it always catches the viruses if I wander onto a URL that has one enabled in it. I would suggest getting that, as far as a firewall goes, I have also heard great things about ZoneAlarm. Never used it though.

By the way
:wave: :wave: Welcome to 3D Spotlight :wave: :wave:
Hope to see you stick around.

Yeah, I think I will go with Norton Anti-Virus 2002. I have zonealarm, but I want to get something better... a well know brand firewall (not a free one).

Norton Antivirus 2002 is a great ANTIVIRUS package but it is NOT a firewall. Norton Internet Security includes both Norton Personal Firewall 2002 AND Norton Antivirus 2002. It's not much more than standalone NAV 2002. ZoneAlarm is also a good one. and free. It (ZoneAlarm) doesn't protect against many viruses though, mostly just TCP/IP attacks etc. But it does an effective job as a firewall.

I use Zonealarm, and have had nothing but good experiences with it. In my opinion it's the best free firewall out there.

Stay away from BlackICE Defender.

You can find more information at grc.com, internet security is this guy's business.

I also use Trend Micro PC-CILLIN, it came with my ASUS system board, and I haven't gotten infected by any viri yet.

I have to say that I also use Norton Antivirus 2002 and have had no problems to date.

I've also heard good things about ZoneAlarm, but never had the need to install it.

I think alot of the firewall programs are the users preference since there is such wide discrepency on which one is the best.

I have always found Zone Alarm to be efficient. As for antivirus, I am using E Trust's EZ antivirus, a spin-off from the free Innoculate IT. No infections yet, and the real-time protection works great.

I've used most of the popular firewalls and was a Zone Alarm fan for a long time - ZA is a good firewall but I now prefer Norton Internet Security 2002 along with Norton AV 2002 - I'm using the pro versions and everything is very tight

These are the best solutions for home users, in my opinion:
Antivirus Software: Norton Antivirus 2002
Software Firewall: ZoneAlarm(free) or ZoneAlarm Pro
Hardware Firewall: Linksys Cable/DSL Router

ZoneAlarm Pro is great but it does more than a typical home user needs. The Linksys isn't a fully functional firewall but it does a good job anyway.

Bah.

NAV 2002 is fine for home use. Especially if you want to see the pop-up and tray icons that show you that it's scanning your e-mail. I much prefer an AV or firewall to stay relatively hidden. I don't need it to pop-up or come into the tray then go away when it scans e-mail. I know it scans e-mail, and I know when I get an e-mail in (or send one). Why do I need the extra notification?

Same theory applies to firewalls. ZA can be some fricking annoying with it's pop-ups saying that something is happening...

I run BID and Norton Corp, never had any problems, runs smooth as a babies bottom. No annoying flashing things, no annoying pop-ups, perfectly secure and stable system.

BlackICE (BID) now has application level filtering support (as of today, v3.5 was released with it). I haven't tried it yet, but if it's just as annoying as other programs, then I'll turn it off if possible.

One of the best things any user can do is educate yourself. That is your first line of defense...

I think you will need to spend a little on the anti-virus program. Personally I recommend Norton Anti-Virus 2002.

Regarding the firewall program. Norton has their own firewall program, but you will have to pay for them.

If you want something free. Try ZoneAlarm!

McAfee locks boots & shutdowns. Norton is a rip off. EZ is good but only free for 60 days.

The "BEST" is AVG from www.grisoft.com > it is free, has auto-updates, works excellent, takes very little system resources & is from an established company.

Black Ice is good, ZA isn't & Tiny is flaky.

The "BEST" is Sygate Personal Firewall: www.sygate.com It is THE top firewall on the market. It is also free, uses very little system resources, easily programable & really works for what it is supposed to. Sygate is the industry leader.

Both AVG & Sygate DO NOT contain ANY spyware either. I tried the others (for months) & have been w/Sygate & AVG now for almost a year. No complaints at all & no virus's/intrusions either!

HTH,

I used to use Black Ice, it was good but I switched to ZA until I read somewhere that it was spyware, then I switched to Tiny, one seemed just as good as another. As for Antivirus, I've probably tried tham all as well, my favorite was Thunderbyte but they sold out to some other company who completely screwed it up. I finally settled on Norton Antivirus 2002. It doesn't suck up system resources and integrrates nicely into Outlook for scanning email, the only problem I have with it is that some harmless jscripts on some webpages set it off and the page doesn't show up right. This is a pretty rare problem though, I've only encountered it on a few pages and one was a shop site so I'm pretty sure it wasn't a malicious script.

Originally posted by azukre
I think you will need to spend a little on the anti-virus program. Personally I recommend Norton Anti-Virus 2002.

Regarding the firewall program. Norton has their own firewall program, but you will have to pay for them.

Almost every week Norton Systemworks is on sale/rebate at some store for $19.95 often bundled with Notorn firewallor internet Security 2002 for free(rebate)
It does take a little work to setup/turnoff the unwanted parts/icons.

Norton Internet Security 2002

My choice has been made - I have been using Norton Internet Security 2002 for a few weeks now and it works great! I highly recommend it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back