Virus, spyware??

Status
Not open for further replies.

DarkVisor

Hi everyone, I think my system has recently been infected by a virus, when I booted up today I found it working REALLY slowly, and several desktop icons popped up (you know, the average ad stuff) and hardly any of my backround programs would boot.
By chance I had an Ashampoo Uninstaller restore point to about a day earlier, and that deleted most of the stuff, except for a few key files, because I suspect they are in use :(
I installed PrevX 2.0 because I remember using a program by that name a while ago, but it turns out to be **** and evey few minuted keeps prompting me to buy the full version, although doing the system scan it found about 10 supposedly infected files ( most of them in the WINDOWS folder). Norton antivirus just crashes whenever I try to scan. I also found 2 versions of LSASS.exe running, one of them from my administrator account, but I dont think this is the sasser virus because so far it doesnt restart for no reason.
I'm trying to install CounterSpy, but it just comes up with

"The Windows Installer Service could not be accessed.
This can occur if you are running Windows in safe
mode, or if the Windows Installer is not correctly
installed. Contact your support personnel for assistance."

Also when I boot up the system it has started going
"Please wait....................................................................................."
With a blue screen, but after about 4 minutes it boots pretty normally.

Hope this is enough info, I really dont want to perform a full system restart, because Ive got a whole lot of stuff installed without the disk, so if I did I would have to wait 6 months basically without a computer :(

Hi DarkVisor and welcome to TechSpot.:wave:

Your system is badly infected, you need to follow the instructions below to the letter.

You need to have a read of this - If your system is infected. Read this before deciding whether to CLEAN or REFORMAT.

Then if you should wish to proceed with cleaning your system you need to go and read the Viruses/Spyware/Malware, preliminary removal instructions. Follow all the instructions exactly.

Post fresh HJT, Combofix, and AVG Antispyware logs as ATTACHMENTS into this thread, only after doing the above.
We also need to know the result of Panda Antirootkit.

This thread is for the use of DarkVisor only. Please don`t post your own virus/spyware problems in this thread. Instead, open a new thread in our security and the web forum.

Mmkay, thanks for your reply! I'll have a read of those. I've just rebooted the system, I thought maybe it would let me install Counterspy, but I just made it worse :( Taken 10 minutes just to get to desktop screen!
By the way do you have any idea on the name of this infection?

Not without seeing all of the requested logs really.

This thread is for the use of DarkVisor only. Please don`t post your own virus/spyware problems in this thread. Instead, open a new thread in our security and the web forum.

Hey everyone, sorry I took so long, the virus is making my computer really slow.
and I see my helper left the forums :(
Well I think the virus is 4/5 gone, especially thanks to combofix and avg!
The long loading screen has gone at startup, but for some reason none of my backround programs seem to load properly, with the exception of sound manager and Windows security alerts!
Another thing is, that annoying freezing remains while I am surfing the web on firefox (dont know if it does this with the other browsers) every 30 seconds it would just freeze for about 2 seconds and not let me do anything. I could live with it for a few days, but now it is really pissing me off!
Here are the logs you requested, but the avg one didnt save properly for some reason, and I could find it in the reports section. So I included a screenshot of the things it found. Thanks in advance!

Sorry about the bad image quality, its all I could do under 100kb

Sorry you are not getting any help - I am not qualified to help, but a look at your logs suggests that you have too many anti-this-and-that which are quite likely interfering with one-another. I am also of the opinion you would be better off removing Norton entirely and completely (not easy!!) and using a known good combination of firewall, spyware, virus checker.

It should be more widely publiced that all too many sites on the web pretending to be helping you uninstall problems are actually doing the opposite, and installing problems ! Then convincing you to buy the 'full version' which is a con.

Have you tried homecall mentioned in the preliminary removal instructions of Rik's post?

Thanks a lot for replying!
Homecall? If you mean the online scanner, I tried it when I had the virus, but it kept freezing after about an hour and a half, I tried this a few times to no avail, so I skipped that step. I will try it now to see if maybe it could complete it self.

Hehe I think I will try another forum now, thanks to you guys who helped me!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back