Virus?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a quick question. Just yesterday, my desktop was acting funny, freezing every so often for an hour. After the 3rd restart, my desktop's screen suddenly went blank and would not boot. I cannot press delete or try to boot in safe mode. Is it a virus or something hardware related?

If you can't get into safe mode, or will not boot. It seems to be it would be hardware related. Does it act crazy BEFORE the computer gets to Windows? If it happens right off the startup, then it most likely would be hardware related. You mentioned a blank screen, do you have a graphics card that is NOT integrated with the motherboard? I would check any non-onboard graphics cards first....

--Daniel L

Well, I left the room for 10 minutes to get a drink, before which I was playing a game. Once I restarted it, the screen was blank, the power LED's were on, but there wasn't the distinctive beeping noise or whir of the hard drive..
I can't get into bios either..

Power it off.

Push Power button

What do you see on the screen? If it is always black then its hardware, if the POST stuff prints out, when does it black out?

If the screen is blacked out, does it SOUND like the computer is starting? HD grinding? POST beep? Does it sound like it is loading windows?

--Daniel L

I tried turning it off, waiting for 2 minutes and restarting it, but it yields the same results. There is no beep on restart nor is there any of the POST stuff, the screen just remains blank..

Ok, from what you are describing, it is a hardware error. I would remove the HD, and pop it into a working computer and backup the data. My uneducated guess is that the problem lies with the PSU or the motherboard, I would get a PSU tester first and check that out first.

--Daniel L

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back