Viruses shown but not detected

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chriss

Hi

Norton was scanning like it does every week today and i just happened to walk in while it was going over some files that looked suspicious. There were quite a few of them, including things like Backdoor.Rustock.B. The thing is, Norton didn't detect that as a virus, it just continued and passed over it and many other ones. I also tried a few more scans and they didn't find it either. I was just wondering why this is happening and if it could be a risk.

Thanks

Edit - This also has not happened on one computer but 2 more in the house, and Norton just passes over them.

Norton is absolutely worthless. It may as well be considered a virus itself.

I would recommend that you first read Is your system infected? Read this before Cleaning or Formatting

If you decide to clean your system please follow Viruses/Spyware/Malware, preliminary removal instructions exactly and post the requested logs here.

This thread is for the use of Chriss only. Please don't post your own virus/spyware problems in this thread. Instead, open a new thread in our security and the web forum.

Norton isn't completely worthless. It serves as a bad example. It detects very well, it does do a very poor job of removal.

There are plenty of threads with that discussion in them. I don't want to hijack this one, but it degrades system performance, it can cause all kinds of errors, makes itself almost impossible to uninstall without running a tool, and in my opinion it acts like a virus itself.

This thread is for the use of Chriss only. Please don't post your own virus/spyware problems in this thread. Instead, open a new thread in our security and the web forum.

Hey

Thanks for your replies. I ran both avast and AVG and there was only one problem detected by Avast, which was a trojan although not a name I had seen. I decided to do a reformat and install Vista again, not just because of this but there were alot of things I didn't need. After reinstalling, the first thing i did before connecting to the internet in any way is install norton and scan. I only had to wait about 10 seconds and once again the thing happened, at around the same point, a block full of trojans and backdoors, one after each other. Norton didn't detected them once again, it wook a while to load on each one, about 20 seconds, but it didn't detect any problems. I'm stuck on what to do now.

Thanks

Are you are using internet connection sharing or do you have multiple computers connected to the internet through a router? It sounds like you're being infected by a second computer on your network.

Connection

All the computers are connected through a Router. The only thing is i made sure that two computers were never connected to the router at the same time. When the computer was formated and vista was installed, the computer never touched the router or internet until the scan was done. The thing that confuses me is that the virus's that are visable are in one block, one after another and then it goes back to normal files so far as I can see. No location of the file is shown, just the name.

Thanks

The Trojans also show up on the Quick Scan of Norton, if that helps at all

Sounds like you might have done a reinstall. A format will totally clean a HDD (Hard Disk Drive). Windows Vista is wierd. Try unhooking everying except a monitor, keyboard, and mouse. Then, try and format the drive and reinstall Vista. Post your response.:grinthumb

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back