Vista 32 or 64 bit?

By bigredmachine
Jun 11, 2007
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I'm buying a new notebook and am wondering if I should cough up another $149 for vista ultimate, which is 64 bit? Is this a good idea or is staying with vista premium a better way to go. I'm already getting 2 gig of memory so its not like that is a problem and I'm getting the c2 duo 2.2 ghz w/ 4mb cache. Just wondering what would be best.

I've read the guide to choosing which windows version you want thread...how do I know what software (games) and hardware will work?

Thanks!
  2. halo71

halo71 Newcomer, in training Posts: 1,289

I would stick with Premium for the time being if I were you.
  3. N3051M

N3051M Newcomer, in training Posts: 2,800

question you should be asking yourself:

Do you need those extra features??
    -big/complex network ability
    -drive encryption
    -moving desktop
    -shadow copy
    -etc.

Mind you, you can get the 64 bit edition of vista premium by asking microsoft to send you the 64-bit vista premium cd, with a small postage & handling cost..

...by checking on the website/manufacturer/box if it says "vista compatible" or if there is updates available to make it vista compatible..

Most hardware/software with only XP compatible written on it should work on vista, but i must emphases the word *most*
  4. jonisaksson

jonisaksson Newcomer, in training Posts: 102

N3051M is absolutly right.
    If you are just plannign to use it at home I would go for Premium.
    I went for the Vista Ultimate, but in hindsight I wouldnt have forked out the extra dollars.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.